Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Replacement Ric Nut For Lefties?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 am 

Hi Again,

Following on from a post I made re the correct nut for a 610, I felt it best to create a new topic, with a more specific question.

Hopefully this is ok with everyone.

I have managed to hunt down a lefty 610, which I'm very excited about. Problem is the current owner has it strung up right handed, and in the process had a guitar tech take out the lefty nut and replace with a right handed one.

My question is, does Rickenbacker make a lefty replacement nut, as I don't see one in the boutique section of the site.

And if not, would part number 03325 be suitable for a lefty?

Having owned a few Rics in my time, I can't remember if the nut slopes downwards towards the headstock or not, which if this is the case with this nut would mean (I'm guessing) it won't work.

If someone could shed some light on the best way to deal with this I would appreciate it.

All The Best
Scott

Post subject: Re: Replacement Ric Nut For Lefties?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:37 am 

Your best bet would be to contact Ric or their distributor directly and see if you can get a 620 blank nut, then have the tech do all the filing.

Failing that, I do not own a 610 or 620, but do have a 650 and 330. Both of these nuts seem relatively flat in profile and with a bit of filing you could probably install a 620 nut in reverse position. That 03225 part number would probably fit the bill.

Most likely the easiest to obtain and set up.

Good luck.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:22 am 

Buchrob, thanks for the info.

So the nut on your two Rics are pretty flat, and don't angle downwards (towards the headstock) on one side?

If that's the case then the nut I mentioned from the boutique section should do the job just fine. I'll just flip it round and sand off the bottom if necessary to get the correct height.

Have I got that right?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:55 am 

The 650 nut is dead flat, but too wide for your application with the 1.75" string spacing compared to the 1.625 you need. The older 330 I have is pretty flat at the bottom, but curved at the top, although the string spacing is what you want.

Since a replacement nut is normally cut a little high, you would probably have the wiggle room you need to the do the swap.

In any event, we are talking about a part that is almost throwaway in terms of dollar value compared to the dollar value of the guitar.

Most of the other-branded (F or G) or generic nuts will be too wide, cost about the same, and involve much more labour.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:29 pm 

Well that's interesting.

I've just had a look at the guitar overview diagrams, which list the parts numbers for Ric guitars, and both the 330 and 650 use the same nut, the aforementioned 03325.

Yet your 650 has a longer nut than your 330. Did they change the size recently I wonder, so both use the 03325.

I guess the best thing for me to do is just order one here in the UK, and if it doesn't fit I can always send it back.

Thanks

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:59 pm 

Here is a picture of a Rickenbacker nut... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/imag ... nstruments

It looks like the notches are cut in an angle to match the strings way fretboard to the machine heads... A right hand nut will not be valid.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:42 pm 

So there seems to be some conflicting opinions on this issue.

On the RickResource forum, I have been told that the nut will be ok, as it doesn't slope towards any particular way.

Having looked at the picture Schmidt, it seems that it does angle the strings towards the headstock for a right handed setup.

Maybe someone from Rickenbacker will know the definitive answer to this?

I don't see any left handed nuts available in the boutique section, nor can I find any when I do a thorough search via the internet, which leads me to believe that left handed nuts might not have even been made, and possibly one size fits any playing orientation?

Thanks

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:15 pm 

Try giving Shelley Cleave at Rosetti a call and enquire as to if they have a lefty nut..........worth a try.

Where in the UK are you? I've got a set of nut files, it would not take long to sort the nut out for you.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:15 pm 

I think, this will be the best way:

http://www.soundaffectsmusic.com/ricken ... t-660.html

He is really good, official Rickenbacker dealer and: in UK! Even if it's not the right nut he knows how do get it.

Please send him wishes from the strange guy from Germany that bought the midnight blue 370/12. Ask for Tim, it's the owner.

Sascha

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 pm 

Quote:
So there seems to be some conflicting opinions on this issue.

On the RickResource forum, I have been told that the nut will be ok, as it doesn't slope towards any particular way.

Having looked at the picture Schmidt, it seems that it does angle the strings towards the headstock for a right handed setup.

Maybe someone from Rickenbacker will know the definitive answer to this?

I don't see any left handed nuts available in the boutique section, nor can I find any when I do a thorough search via the internet, which leads me to believe that left handed nuts might not have even been made, and possibly one size fits any playing orientation?

Thanks

Yes, There is an angle... And now I've seen en naturel too - on my very own 360 from 1997. The notches are cut in a slight angle like the picture in the link. But the top of not is "flat" = 90 degrees to all four sides.

Board index » Setup And Technical