Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Accent vibrato
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:11 am 

Hi , I have a 620 Rickenbacker and I am thinking about adding a Accent vibrato . Do they stay in tune good. I only plan on using it in the rockabilly or surf (Ventures type of usage ) no dive bomming . Is this a good choise or will I be wasting my money?. Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Accent vibrato
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:04 pm 

I thought about putting one on my 620. I had one left over from my Model 1997 after I switched it with a Bigsby B5. Unfortunately, the way the hole is drilled for the end pin of the guitar, it doesn't quite line up with the flat top of the 620. You would either have to have the end pin redrilled lower, the mounting hole drilled higher, or maybe even a combination of the two. If you don't, the Ac'cent will kind of "hover" parallel to the guitar top by about an inch. (It's supposed to touch the top.) I know that Rickenbacker used to put the Ac'cent on the model 625 in the 60's, but my guess is that they specifically drilled the end pin hole to fit correctly. Also, it's too bad that the B5 doesn't fit on the 620, because it would be a perfect vibrato for the guitar. The distance between the bridge and the edge of the guitar is too short, though.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:40 am 

Hi, I got the accent vibrato last friday from the Ric site and installed it. I drilled a new hole lower so it fit properly. I installed it added a new set of Rickenbacker strings a (10 set) then applyed nut sauce to the bridge and nut and after streching the strings for a minuite tested it out . It works beautifully stays in tune and has a beautiful feel to it . I don't dive bomb with it I just use it like a bigsby for surf tunes and rockabilly Brian Setzer Stray Cat tunes. So if you are hedging on getting one it does work beautifully BUT nut sauce is a must . I also use the nutsauce on my Gretsch.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 am 

Thanks for the info RickVox!

How far did you drill the hole from the original, or is it obvious when you place the Accent against the top of the guitar? I have a 330 so it may be different anyway.

Also, do you recall the drill bit size you used? I'm real close to doing this myself.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 pm 

Hi Just line the vibrato up centering it with existing hole then lower it to where it naturally fits on guitar body. Mark it with a sharpi pen and drill . I don't remember what size drill but let me tell you these guitars are made of some really good wood. It takes some time to drill thru but take your time its worth it!!!.Hope this helps

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:57 pm 

I fitted an Accnt Vibrato on my 360/12 V63 (I use it as a six string). The problem arose that the ball ends of the strings are now 3 - 4 mm (1/8 inch) higher than on the trapeze tailpiece.
Thus, less pressure on the bridge and the strings no longer sound clean.
The neck is dead straight, so cannot raise the bridge without spoiling action.
Any ideas?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:20 pm 

Willie,
If you have a Rick 330, the Accent vibrato should fit without any drilling modification. I put an Accent on my 330 and it fits perfectly. The existing hole should fit it perfectly. Other models may be another matter.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:50 pm 

Barris wrote:
Willie,
If you have a Rick 330, the Accent vibrato should fit without any drilling modification.

This is true, but the anchor plate will sit at a shallower angle than intended. As a result the vibrato arm will also sit a little lower and this may reduce the effectiveness of the unit. You can get an after-market anchor plate to make the unit sit at the correct angle without drilling a new hole, or you can live with a little less vibrato range in the event you don't want to drill additional holes in your guitar.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:07 pm 

rwin wrote:
I fitted an Accnt Vibrato on my 360/12 V63 (I use it as a six string). The problem arose that the ball ends of the strings are now 3 - 4 mm (1/8 inch) higher than on the trapeze tailpiece.
Thus, less pressure on the bridge and the strings no longer sound clean.
The neck is dead straight, so cannot raise the bridge without spoiling action.
Any ideas?

Try installing a thicker set of strings, say 12's, temporarily and see if you are happy with the sound.

If you still think the strings don't sound clean with the higher tension required, then the Accent is probably not for you.

Bigsby doesn't supply that extra bar to lower the srings just to add weight to the tailpiece. It's there to provide a geometric correction.

Board index » Setup And Technical