Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: A Finish Question For Mr. John Hall.
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:10 am 

Mr. Hall,

I am the proud owner of 4 of your wonderful guitars, a 7/2008 4003FL, 11/2009 330/6 & 620/12, and a 1/2010 4003. I recently bulit a guitar stand/rack to hold these guitars. I used some spray adhesive, 3M Super 77, to glue some strips of fabric in place to protect the necks where they will rest when sitting in the stand. In the process of this, a little of the spray adhesive got on some of the fabric strips where they will contact the necks of the guitars. My question is if the adhesive will react to the finish on the guitars. I was planning on letting the adhesive dry 24 hours before setting them in the stand, but will wait until I hear something back from you as I do not want to take a chance on damaging the finish.

Thank you for your help,

Jason

Post subject: Re: A Finish Question For Mr. John Hall.
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:25 am 

Rickenbacker finish is normally known to stand just about everything...

Take a little piece of paper with the glue on you used and place it on the guitars finish under the truss rod cover for instance - and see what happens. Leave it for a couple of days. I don't think anything will happen.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would be quite concerned having any type of finish in direct contact with this adhesive. We use this stuff here and it's quite aggressive; I've certainly never tried it but I'd be afraid that it might plasticize the coating.

If it's not practical to recover in some fashion, you might try removing the excess adhesive with naptha, which won't leave any residue harmful to the guitar's finish.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am 

Mr. Hall,

Thanks for the reply. I also spoke to Paul W. about it and he gave me the same advice. I went ahead and used some lighter fluid to get the residue off and then used some self-adhevsive felt. They look great! Here's some pics:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:25 am 

Hi LowEndlover, great job on the guitar rack, beaut guitars and photos! I cannot see anything lowend there! :)

May I be so bold to ask,,,,do you put a Ric in that pink guitar case I see? :lol: Please don't tell me if you put a Ric in there, but really what is kept in that pink guitar case??? :shock:

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:01 am 

See:
http://www.daisyrock.com/

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:27 pm 

cjj wrote:

:lol: cjj

Lowendlover, I gather from the pictures, can whip up a very nice guitar rack and get all the details perfect for care of the guitars, has a very impressive collection of guitars ( 4 Ric's in that pic) :) and is well read :)

I'm not that with it over here in Aust,,,I don't think I've ever seen a pink guitar case before and certainly not a Ric inside one. We are not so well catered for over here :)

But thanks for enlightening me,,,I'm sure my daughter who plays guitar would love a pink guitar case, I shall pass on the link

Thanks from jbudweiser

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jbudweiser wrote:
Lowendlover, I gather from the pictures, can whip up a very nice guitar rack and get all the details perfect for care of the guitars, has a very impressive collection of guitars ( 4 Ric's in that pic) :) and is well read :)

You forgot to mention the single malt Scotch collection . . .

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 pm 

JohnHall wrote:

Hmm- The Glenlivet, Balvenie, Laphroaig, Talisker(I think), perhaps a small Highland Park and I'm not at all sure about the silver box with the large "R" on it...

Now I am doubly jealous... and suddenly thirsty. All I have here is some Highland Park and an airline sized GlenFiddich.... sigh.

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:44 am 

JohnHall wrote:

Ah, I was waiting for someone to notice the single malts and it was none other than Mr. John Hall! What can I say, single malts and Rics... here's to 2 of the finest things money can buy! :D I am really liking the Aberlour A'bunadh my wife got me for Christmas. It is one of the more unique ones I have.

Hey jbudwiser, as far as the pink case goes, that, as was correctly identified, is the case to my wife's Daisy Rock guitar. It was her first guitar and not too bad when you get some decent pickups put in it. Hasn't seen much action since the 330/6 & 620/12 showed up. And, on the low end, didn't you see the 2 4003's flanking the 2 guitars? I know they aren't as easy to see, but they are there.

Thanks for the replys,

LEL

Board index » Setup And Technical