Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Nut Height Question (4003)
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:32 am 

KInd of a stupid question, but I'm famous for 'em, so here goes:

Can someone explain how the string height at the nut might affect my intonation on open strings? I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.

Post subject: Re: Nut Height Question (4003)
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uh, there isn't any intonation with regard to open strings. If you mean between open and the 12th fret, well, when you fret at the 12th, it's no longer an open string, is it?

Now that that's out of the way, you need to understand that as the string height goes up at the nut, the more you move the string as you fret it, which stretches it, making it go sharp relative to the open string. Bringing both height down either the nut or bridge minimizes the string stretch while fretting. Lowering only one end obviously favors one end of the neck intonation-wise, the lowest end having the truest intonation, assuming correct intonation adjustment at the bridge.

Post subject: Re: Nut Height Question (4003)
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:12 am 

hiho,what is the ideal height for the slots at the nut.
If you fretted a string at the 2nd fret what would be the ideal gap under the first fret ? ie a visible gap or just short of touching.would it be something along the lines of 1mm or 30 thou".My 4003 a 1999 model in jetglo has a very small gap but my other ones have larger gaps.This shows up as less string tension when fretting as you say due to the relative distance the string has to move to fret which is increasing tension.I like the relative low tension feel this gives which I have noticed due to other people playing mine and are used to playing other basses with the higher nut slots that say to me that the strings feel floppy to what they are used to.As a layman in my mind the string will have more room to vibrate/oscillate which would have an effect on tone ?.
I think sometimes nut height is an overlooked facet on tone and playability due to a lot of people concentrating on bridge adjustments then movin on to neck relief,mine is set up flat and has never moved in 12 years and the intonation is spot on especially at the 3rd fret zone where I have noticed most basses are prone to be a good bit out even though they are bang on everywhere else.

Board index » Setup And Technical