Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Rickenbacker 12 360 - strings choked on truss rod cover
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:19 pm 

I bought a 2009 Rickenbacker 12 360 from someone on ebay.

The strings that go into the 'slot' tuners are ALL choked on the truss rod cover or the WOOD where the truss rod cover isn't hanging out over the edge.

When tuning down, the strings are unresponsive. I can't imagine that this is the proper factory condition. Is it possible this guitar is damaged, or even fake?
Other than this, the guitar seems perfect.

When I look at the guitar from the appropriate angle it appears that there is no clear line of sight from the nut to the tuner.

any help, tips, info is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 12 360 - strings choked on truss rod cover
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:25 pm 

It's possible that the strings were not installed correctly. Maybe if you posted some pictures of the headstock, someone could help you.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:16 pm 

Yeah, you should post a photo taken from "the appropriate angle".

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:53 pm 

The slotted strings will all pretty well interfere with the truss rod cover (TRC) unless when stringing you route the coils towards the outside of the guitar, not inwards. Even then, there can be some interference on a few strings.

When you want to tune, normally you slack off to a point below your target, and then tune upwards, so that should not be a problem, and the contact is before the nut so there should be no difference in sound.

Where it can be a pain is if you have to adjust the truss rods, since you have to slack everything off, remove the cover, adjust the rods and try a test fit with the cover off, and then slack off on a few strings to re-insert the cover, and re-test.

Fortunately, not too often a job, but one that you wish had a better procedure. Maybe at some point Ric will adopt a zero-fret or string guide design to solve this problem.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:59 pm 

I think strings touching the truss rod cover is unavoidable. To minimize drag, use the slotted tuners with you most narrow strings; these all will be smooth and unwound (except for the one Low E string, which doesn't seem to make as much contact with the truss rod cover as the other strings coming off more to the center of the nut). As the strings go from the nut to the tuner shaft, the strings should go "over the top" of the shaft to keep the strings as straight as possible. If the strings go "under the bottom" of the tuner shaft first, there will be more of a "break" in the strings as they go from nut to tuner (and consequently more binding). Both these things should minimize binding and drag, but probably won't eliminate it. If you are tuning your strings and tune down first, you might have to simply lift the string with a finger on your strumming hand to make sure all the slack is taken out of the string between the nut and tuner, and then tune up to pitch (kind of like gently stretching a new string).

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:37 am 

thanks for the responses. I freaked myself out for a second!

one issue is the 'rods?' (the parts that are turning with the hole in it for the string to pass through) are tapered the 'wrong' way. Which makes a VERY large amount of slack to be required to make the distance to the outer part of the 'rod.'

the taper is a smooth curve and then it kinks to perfectly perpendicular to string angle.
Attachment:
File comment: headstock, hard to see, but all I can do at the minute.
rick headstock 2.jpg
rick headstock 2.jpg [ 44.78 KiB | Viewed 1584 times ]

It seems like even if I could have enough slack to get the string up there 1. it might only partially resolve the issue. 2. the string could 'fall' over the kink, and become a jumbled mess.
Attachment:
File comment: more angle. can see routing and where the g-string 'disappears'
rick headstock 3.jpg
rick headstock 3.jpg [ 49.98 KiB | Viewed 1584 times ]

thanks for any help. :)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:38 pm 

buchrob wrote:
when stringing you route the coils towards the outside of the guitar, not inwards.

Being a bassist, I've not had much experience with the 12 stringers, but seeing how the headstock is designed, that makes sense to me.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38 pm 

Rickenbrother wrote:
buchrob wrote:
when stringing you route the coils towards the outside of the guitar, not inwards.

Being a bassist, I've not had much experience with the 12 stringers, but seeing how the headstock is designed, that makes sense to me.

:) yeh it's never more obvious than on a 12 string rick. I was wondering if it was worth restringing this guitar (which I think has never been played)

the strings are slow to 'catch on' that you're tuning down OR up! If stringing with a lot of slack and winding to the outside makes this significantly better it could be well worth it. Also how much damage do the strings to the finish?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:46 pm 

parallactic_acid wrote:
Also how much damage do the strings to the finish?

That will depend on how careful and thoughtful you are when you re-string your guitar.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:12 pm 

For hand perspiration killing the string tone try applying lemon oil to a cloth and wiping the string with the cloth before installing the strings on the instrument. :)

Board index » Setup And Technical