Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Will my odd set-up work?
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 pm 

So I have a right handed 330 and I have an odd way of playing guitar. I play right handed but with the strings reversed (so basically set up as left handed) and I'm wondering if setting it up that way would hurt the guitar. Is there any parts i would need to change? I also like to use very very heavy stings. Is it safe for a ric?

Post subject: Re: Will my odd set-up work?
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:39 pm 

Very odd indeed. Yes, the nut will need to be replaced. But, can you explain *why* you would want to do this?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:33 pm 

There is no reason why you can't do this if you insist.

The nut will have to be replaced. If you can't find a lefty nut, then it's your chance to finally decide on string gauges and get one cut/filed to what you want.

You will probably have to play with the truss rods over a one week period, incrementally, since the previously "heavily stressed" side will be finding some slack and the previously loose side will need some extra bite. Slack everything off, do the string/nut change and then tighten the truss rods beyond finger tight definitely no more than 1/4 turn at a time over a 24-hour period.

Don't be in a rush, because you are in a sense unwinding a corkscrew where the pressures are not even and then re-threading in the opposite direction.

The limitation may be what you define as "very very heavy strings". Peter Buck of R.E.M. plays with a set a 12's and no one complains about his tone.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:09 am 

I think Buck uses 13's, which are actually even heavier!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:43 pm 

I use 12-52 on my 360 with no problems.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:29 pm 

It keeps other right-handers from playing your guitar. . . for longer than a few seconds, and lefties will prolly never catch on, so they'll leave your guitar alone as well. . . :D

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:52 pm 

Clifton wrote:

Which is no big deal, since a set of factory 10-gauge 12-string strings is roughly the same as stringing a 6-string guitar with 14's.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:03 am 

2tensandan18 wrote:
Very odd indeed. Yes, the nut will need to be replaced. But, can you explain *why* you would want to do this?

Maybe just turned a half??? 8-)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:34 am 

iiipopes wrote:
Clifton wrote:

Which is no big deal, since a set of factory 10-gauge 12-string strings is roughly the same as stringing a 6-string guitar with 14's.

But his 360 is a regular six string model. I assume 360/12 and 620/12 are set up for 10 gauge (12 strings, of course. Simply cutting off the high strings to make it a six string won't work - I tried.), and 360/6 is set up for ten gauge (6 strings). Peter's old guitar tech, Microwave, knew what he was going with guitars, and I assume he adjusted it for the 13 gauge set. I could be wrong, but with the idea that intonation on a Ric would have to be adjusted if you tuned down, even with the right gauge, it seems Peter would need to have his Ric adjusted for the bigger strings (Including a more accommodating nut).

As for playing the guitar strings upside down - Why not buy a left handed model and play it upside down? You'd be the visual Hendrix of Ric! :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 am 

You don't say whether your 330 is a 6 or 12...current RIC nuts are no-handed, meaning you can flip the nut over and it's an LH nut with a square top. If you desire the taper or bevel at the headstock end, you can add this after fitting the nut for height and width.

Board index » Setup And Technical