Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Ricky 330 12string
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:08 pm 

Hi guys, I have a 2009 330 12 string. I have noticed a slight concave dip on the treble side. I know this is not a serious issue and can be rectified by adjustment of the truss rods. I'd be grateful for some advice on adjustment please. I'm aware that on older models, it was necessary to slightly bend the neck as you adjusted the rods. How should I proceed? Advice please!

Post subject: Re: Ricky 330 12string
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:21 pm 

I'd suggest getting your hands on the Roger McGuinn DVD. He goes through how to restring a Rick 12, and also shares tips on adjusting the truss rod. He shows how to push the strings out of the way (while still maintaining tension on the strings) to remove the TRC and gain access to the truss rods. Well worth the $20 or so. Check Amazon.uk, they should have it.

Post subject: Re: Ricky 330 12string
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:13 pm 

It certainly does not hurt to manually "fix or bend" the neck and use the truss rods just to hold things in place. Less wear on the nuts and fittings at both ends.

Sometimes you can sight down the neck and find a particular area where the problem is concentrated. I prefer to rest that section on a small pile of paperback books, then manually bend the neck till it looks straight, while having someone tighten the rods.

Just tightening the rods applies an even pressure over the length of the neck. Won't help if there's a kink at a particular spot. Best to tackle the local problem first, if there is an identifiable one.

Post subject: Re: Rick 330 12string
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:35 am 

Oh my, you said "Ricky." :lol:

Board index » Setup And Technical