Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 1995 Ric 360-12 Setup in the Bay Area
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:25 am 

I have been playing a late model Ric 360-12 in a Beatle Cover Band for a while now and love the performance and playability of the guitar. Since the guitar belongs to the band I decided to buy my own so i recently purchased a 1995 Blond 360-12 which belonged to a collector for 10 years and then a very occasional player for the past 6 years. The guitar displayed signs of minor neck adjustment needed and a new set of strings.

I basically gave the two truss rods a quarter turn adjustment to tighten, changed th strings, (Fun?) and then brought the action down to the point of the most minimal fret buzz.

The guitar is much better but not as nice as the one I play in the band. I suspect that one of the truss rods needs a bit more adjustment. It's been fun but I'm wondering if someone could reccomend some one in the SF Bay Area that really knows these guitars? I've heard you have to be really carefull withthe truss rods..

I live on the San Francisco Peninsula so San Francisco is now problem. Gary Brawer in SF does good work on Fenders and Gibsons and has a PLEK mahine on site.

Post subject: Re: 1995 Ric 360-12 Setup in the Bay Area
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:35 am 

What year is your guitar? Anyone can break or improperly adjust the truss rods on any brand of guitar, so you don't have to be any more careful with the truss rods on a Rick than you do with any other brand of guitar.

I've heard of some people who loved having their guitar setup by a PLEK machine...though maybe call me old fashioned, but I feel that since guitars are played by people, not machines, they should be set up by people (who know how), not machines.

I'm sure there are techs in your area who can help you out. Get in touch with forumite, jingle_jangle. You couldn't get a better guy to work on you Rick than him.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:58 pm 

Turns out by the serial number it was made in April, 1996. I had my first guitar, (1968) Telecaster re fretted by Gary and the PLEK machine is used to put appropriate string tension on the string less neck and then measure and shave the frets to non-human eye tolerances. The ultimate result was the best Telecaster i have ever played.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:14 pm 

I had my 360/12 set up by Garry, he wouldn't Plek it though because the frets on Rics are too low.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:00 pm 

Seen a PLEK at work at a NAMM show. If you like it, it's for you. I'll set up my guitars myself.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 am 

If PLEK is so great, why doesn't the Rickenbacker factory use it to set up their instruments?

Ricks are tough to do on a PLEK. Frankly, $50K+ so that a semi-skilled person can do a machine setup, is a bit rich for many folks' blood. This is NOT to cast any aspersions on Gary Brawer--he's a friend and his work speaks for itself. I suspect that, with his high-end clientele, a PLEK would pay for itself by those who must have the latest and greatest.

I set up my necks to replicate string stress; it takes a simple jig and some clamps. Anyone can get a fret job within .001" with a bit of care, and depending upon the relief and action a customer wants, .005" can be perfectly fine, too.

Anyway, I do a few setups a month in addition to my building and restoration work, PM me if interested.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:09 pm 

I can't PM because I'm a new member. I'm at 650 703 4023.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:10 pm 

You should be able to PM now. Do you really want you phone number publicly displayed? We can remove it, if you'd like.

Board index » Setup And Technical