Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Noise when I touch pickup poles/surround
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:22 pm 

I just noticed that when I touch the bridge pickup on my 4003, such as the pole pieces or the chrome surround, it injects a noise into the signal. This doesn't happen with the neck pickup at all, and touching the strings or bridge blocks the noise from happening. What does this mean? Is my bridge pickup not grounded? Maybe there's a cold joint or something...

Post subject: Re: Noise when I touch pickup poles/surround
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 pm 

It could be a ground issue at the wire/solder connections,I've seen it happen.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:34 pm 

I took the bass apart and checked the connections... all good, continuous on a trusted multi. I reset the eyelet on the surround because it looked a bit askew. The noise still happens when I touch the poles but not the surround. Any thoughts as to why the poles inject noise? Fortunately I rarely touch them, and almost never without touching the strings (and canceling the noise).

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:41 pm 

I had the same thing happen after I did the RWRP mod. Hum cancelling works as it should but now there is noise when only the bridge pickup poles are touched. No problem for a pick player, but I don't usually use a pick. I guess the easy solution is to put paint or epoxy over the poles to insulate it.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:42 pm 

It must be something about how the coils are arranged. Ground is probably outside normally, RWRP would switch it to inside so you'd lose that internal shielding. Oh well--like I said before, not too likely that I'll touch the poles without touching the strings.

I'll take this over 60 cycle hum any day!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:40 pm 

It is possible that the insulation of the extremely fine wire coil has decomposed in the centermost winds of the coil creating a short circuit to the magnets. This wire is so fine that it is typically insulated by spraying with a liquid insulator the layer of which is even finer. The fact that the surround lost the symptom after disassembly and reassembly most likely means that you cleared up a short by moving the eyelet that you realigned. I believe that supports this theory. I agree that coating the poles with something to insulate them from touch would help the situation. You have probably solved the lions share of the problem already. Good luck.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 pm 

A well known preamp company (starts with 'A') explains this phenomenon on their site. Go to FAQ, then Pickup Magnet Noise. They show how to ground poles on a j-pickup. Rick pickups are obviously different but I would think the theory would be the same.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:43 am 

At the risk of being politically incorrect here. Is it really necessary to NOT identify a manufacturer by name. Not being particularly familiar with pre-amp manufacturers I searched ebay for guitar preamps. I found a few so I tried ART, ADA, and ASHDOWN trying to find this information without sucess. After wasting about 1/2 hour of my time trying to find this I got frustrated and turned on my rant mode. A preamp manufacturer is not in direct competition with Rickenbacker so there should not be a conflict there. I have seen people allude to stratocasters and Les Pauls and nobody got their knickers in a twist, and these companies (and we all know who THEY are) are in direct competition with Rickenbacker. I would like to know where to find this FAQ, would anybody (site admin included) really be upset if Steve4001 were to post the site info more completely? Good information is good information regardless of the source. After all, this forum is about information isn't it? If I am out of line here Please let me know. I understand and share the respect for and admiration for RIC in their willingness to host this site, but see no need to tip toe around when mentioning other manufacturers and their products, especially when their products can help to enhance use of our RIC products. Walking flat footed, not tip toeing around this issue....Rant mode off

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:39 pm 

telemaster I think in an exchange of info yes I believe it's ok to state a name, I thinks it's only denigrating a company or making inference in a negative way towards another company or person that might provoke a deletion by one of the Mods. That's seems fair.

The forum is very tolerant, you seem like a respectful person, you'll be right!
Your post is still standing, LOL! Yes occasionally a post gets locked up, but usually only if it goes too far.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:40 pm 

Try Aguilar.

Board index » Setup And Technical