Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Weak Bridge pickup on my 330... please help
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 am 

I have a 2010 Jetglo 330 with Hi-Gains and I'm pretty sure there is something funky going on with the pickups.

I know its normal for the bridge pickup to sound quieter than the neck with a standard setup, but the bridge all of the sudden sounds significantly weaker than it use to be. Even with the bridge p/u raised higher than the neck, it's way quieter. Here's something else strange: With the p/u selector in the middle position, and the 5th knob all the way down, I'm still getting pretty much just the bass pickup and it now sounds a little muffled compared to how it use to be.

I've heard the muffle issue with the 5th knob and neck p/u is normal because of its function, but I dont really remember it being like this before which makes me wonder if there is a connection to the problem of the weak bridge p/u. I use to set the 5th knob at about halfway and get a nice balance of the bridge and neck pickup, but now it almost sounds as if all the 5th knob is doing is rolling off volume and tone of the neck pickup. Again, I know this is pretty much technically the function of the 5th knob anyway, but something is not as it was before. I've read about putting a small cap across the 5th knob, but I've never felt the need to do that before.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Damaged coil on the bridge pickup?
:(

Post subject: Re: Weak Bridge pickup on my 330... please help
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:07 pm 

Did you drop the guitar or anything? I've had this weak pickup problem with other guitars, and it often comes from some damage to the wiring. It could be slightly loose... This is just my hypothesis; I'm no tech.

Another thing is that the pickup may be slowly coming unwound. Adrian Belew had this happen to his main Strat in the eighties, and it make his bass pickup much weaker, and it just slowly kept going and going until he had to rewind it (Or leave it unwound and not use the pickup at all - I don't know as he stopped using the guitar later).

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm 

The guitar was not dropped that I'm aware of. The wiring looked good as far as I can tell. A friend suggested de-soldering the pickup from the pots and measuring the resistance. I guess this would be a good starting point.

I really hope the pickup isnt coming unwound!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:53 pm 

tchen wrote:
The guitar was not dropped that I'm aware of. The wiring looked good as far as I can tell. A friend suggested de-soldering the pickup from the pots and measuring the resistance. I guess this would be a good starting point.

I really hope the pickup isnt coming unwound!

Well if everything looks fine with the wiring with the pots, then it may be coming unwound. Have you taken it to an experienced luther (This question isn't a reflection of your own experience or anyone who may have worked on the guitar)?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 am 

Well I work in a repair shop right now and am trying to learn the ropes. It was one of the techs that suggested measuring the resistance of the leads.

If the coil is coming unwound, does it make more sense just to buy a new pickup? Or is re-winding a (cheaper) option?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:16 pm 

tchen wrote:
Well I work in a repair shop right now and am trying to learn the ropes. It was one of the techs that suggested measuring the resistance of the leads.

If the coil is coming unwound, does it make more sense just to buy a new pickup? Or is re-winding a (cheaper) option?

THAT I don't know. I would assume it's easier/cheaper to have the pickup rewound. My assumption could be wrong.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:17 pm 

btw, does anyone know what the resistance on these should measure?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:56 pm 

Okay, so all the wiring looks good, BUT... I de-soldered the pickup and it measured 2M! The neck measured 12k as I would expect. Ehh... guess I'm just gonna buy a new pickup.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:10 pm 

tchen wrote:
Okay, so all the wiring looks good, BUT... I de-soldered the pickup and it measured 2M! The neck measured 12k as I would expect. Ehh... guess I'm just gonna buy a new pickup.

Toaster, high-gain, or humbucker? Maybe it's time for a little experimentation? 8-)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tchen wrote:

The fact that you're reading anything at all suggests a cold solder joint where the coil is fastened to the brass screws. You might try reflowing the solder. You certain have nothing to lose trying this!

Unfortunately, this is a byproduct of the required change to leadless solder and has been problematic for all manufacturers.

Board index » Setup And Technical