Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Foam Pickup Mounting Pad
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I imagine one could find sheet gasketing material which could be cut and fashioned into similar mounting pads. If you're handy with a razor knife, the pickup itself would make a nice template to cut against.

Neoprene or Buna-N shouldn't give you too much discoloration but EPDM is better. You really don't want the commonly available vinyl or PVC foam, as they will surely damage the finish. Unfortunately, it may be somewhat difficult to find the good stuff at retail, especially in small quantities. You can search "foam" at www.mcmaster.com for reference.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:04 pm 

Pick of the Rics in New Jersey has them for $5.00 apiece

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:40 am 

Just pull them off the old pickups slowly and carefully...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:19 pm 

I just checked the Boutique site, and the pads are $5.00 a pop; I checked because I bought a pair last month, along with a pair of pickups and a bunch of other bits and pieces, and I didn't remember paying that much for them. My question is- who is charging you $21.00? I agree with Mr. Hall about substitute materials, and their problematical availability in small quantities; I have to say though, that the stuff Rickenbacker uses doesn't feel like anything else I'm familiar with; I would imagine the damping properties are unique, too. While we're on the subject of pads, though- would it be too much trouble to cut the foam from the pickup pad that's sold as a mute pad to actually fit the mute? Even with a new razor blade, it's a bear to cut neatly.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:55 am 

JohnHall wrote:
You really don't want the commonly available vinyl or PVC foam, as they will surely damage the finish.

While we're on the subject, what exactly does the foam pad do? Other then leave a really nasty stain on my otherwise blemish-free AutumnGlo. :cry:

Knowing how it would react with the finish, I have to wonder why Rickenbacker didn't use a safer material like felt, when the pad has no clear function other than filling up the gap between the pickup and the body.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Felt would not work. The pad is there to act as a spring, so that as you loosen the screw the pickup is pushed towards the strings. The back pressure also keeps the pickup from vibrating.

I don't think you'll see much reaction of the material in the "modern era", as this was changed many years ago to an FKM material. The newer UV cure finishes also tend to be non-reactive with most common materials.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:06 am 

Ah, I see. So newer guitars + pads should be safe from the stain of doom.

I also appretiate the clarification on what the pad does. It just seems like they could have found a different material to use back then, to accomplish the same task. I know at some point you guys began using those individual rubber washers instead of the pads. Or used them concurrently?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spike wrote:
It just seems like they could have found a different material to use back then, to accomplish the same task.

Like what?

Anyway, the grommets were the original solution to this problem, starting in the 1950's. They provide the spring action, as well as some protection against bottoming. Neoprene foam started in the 70's which had the added benefit of reducing microphonics and feedback.

The grommets are used today only on vintage reissue type models.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 pm 

Just google rickenbacker parts theres a Ric dealer in New Jersey that sells them

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:21 pm 

The only problem I had was the finish turned really dark under the foam the name of the place that stocks them in New Jersey is Pic of the Rics

Board index » Setup And Technical