Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: mount a vibrato on a 330 jetglo????
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm 

Hi Everybody,

I just bought a jetglo 330 which is an awesome guitar.
I was wondering if it would be possible to put a vibrato on? Would it be risky ?

Anyone with experience it that matter?

Thanks in advance

Gilles

Post subject: Re: mount a vibrato on a 330 jetglo????
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:27 pm 

(...some experience....) If you are thinking about putting on the Accent Vibrato -- http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/vibratos.pdf -- it is very easy to do. As you can see, there is only a single attachment, at the strap bolt. The vibrato tailpiece will cover (hide) the two screw holes from the two screws that currently help attach your tailpiece.

The Accent Vibrato is probably the only one that will not require irreversible mods to your guitar. It is probably the only one that you will be able to do yourself. If I were to have a different one put on (e.g., Bigsby), I'd take it to someone who does this sort of thing for a living.

As with any modification, you might end up not being pleased with it, and so the risk is to your wallet. I do not see these in the RIC Boutique at the moment, but you can easily find them for sale elsewhere.

Others here have much more experience. I thought I'd get the ball rolling. Someone else will chime in soon. Good luck.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31 am 

I don't have any experience, but I'll echo Maxwell.

Unless it's an Accent, yes, it'd be risky. If you later decide to remove it, it would kill the re-sale value in my opinion, and be impossible to undo later without leaving sure signs that you had drilled holes into your guitar. So whether you keep it or sell it later, this will come back up.

If it isn't an Accent, I'd not touch it and just use vibrato on another guitar like a Strat that was meant for it and already has a vibrato arm.

Although I never plan to sell my 360, I don't ever plan to mod it irreversibly, either. The most I would ever probably consider doing would be swapping the pickups for another set that fits perfectly in the guitar, but even that isn't needed, to me.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:18 am 

The mounting bracket for the Ac'cent may be slightly different than the mounting bracket for the "R" tailpiece. {A third party} makes a bracket that allows an Ac'cent to be mounted on the same mounting bracket holes, so nothing has to be re-drilled, and it can be changed back easily.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:43 am 

A heads up about the rubber feet on the underside of the Accent spring: It's not that crucial on a JG finish, since the finish is already black, but I remove the rubber "feet/bumpers" from the underside of the Accent spring and replace them with 3 or 4 round felt pads, because the rubber sometimes discolors lighter finishes.

I just use the standard RIC bracket that's included and have had no trouble with any of the five 360 WB models I own(same basic body shape as the 330), nor the 381/6 I own(deeper body, Derman carve), all with Accents, and some with quite shallow or even almost zero "break angle" and I use the whammy bar quite a bit. :) This may vary based on bridge height, ramp angle, but the models I own are all from different years and eras so there's variance, and I still have no "break angle" issues.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 pm 

Thanks guys I ll go for the accent solution, a relief for my wallet a :) less worries about "big changes" to make to the guitar.....

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:04 pm 

I have a 370 VP JG, that I sent to Jingle Jangle to have him install a B5 Bigsby on it. Should be getting it back next week sometime. Can't wait. . . I'll post some pics once I get it. . . nothing like a Rick with a B5 Bigsby on it. . . totally cool. :mrgreen:

Board index » Setup And Technical