Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Tuner ?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:20 pm 

I have a 360 12WB with the round body Gotoh tuners. Been having alot of tuning problems. I just recently got this guitar. The tuners going from the back of the headstock to the top have bushings. The tuners going thru the headstock slots dont and they are pulling towards the neck. Could this be the problem. Someone did alot of messing around with this guitar before I got it! Got everything right except for this! I am thinking of getting the vintage Klusons from Rickenbacker. Any opinions?

Post subject: Re: Tuner ?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No twelve strings have ever had any more than six bushings, so that's not likely your problem.

The RIC vintage Kluson-type keys are made to our spec by Gotoh, though they might be to a higher standard than some of their off-the-shelf keys.

What kind of string and gauging are you using? That's more likely to be the culprit.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:50 am 

Thanks for the help Mr.Hall. Im using the 10-46s. I think I.ll be ordering the vintage tuners I like the look. Should I get the short or the long shafts? Its a 1985 360/12 WB. You
guys build a great guitar!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:40 pm 

JohnHall wrote:
No twelve strings have ever had any more than six bushings, so that's not likely your problem.

:?: :arrow: Image

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:36 am 

"Lotta messing around" and "trouble tuning" could just be a badly cut nut. Slots too tall or not wide enough may be making you pull the strings sharp on the first few frets?

Install a capo on the first fret, re-tune and see if the guitar is stable. If it is, for sure the nut was your problem.

Address that potential (inexpensive) issue first before investing in more drastic experiments that may not be needed.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:23 am 

On my 1981 360-12WB FG ckbd, which is old enough to have original Klusons, I purchased some stamped nickel mandolin bushings from Stew-Mac, trimmed their collars by grinding them slightly with a dremel to fit the slot, and installed them in the slot tuners. Problem solved.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tune ... 3&xsr=1017

Make sure you have the strings cut to length so there are the proper number of turns around each post so the string doesn't bind on the post or the bottom of the slot.

Board index » Setup And Technical