Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Do I need to adjust intonation ( technical dummy)
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:03 pm 

Okay, I'm not technically minded at all so I'm hoping for some help and advise.. I recently changed the strings, for the FIRST time, on my Ric 330. ( only last week ) I used Rics and the same gauge but the guitar hasn't sounded as good since. I should say at this stage that I am terrible at changing strings..dreadful...(which is not good as I have to change them frequently)..Anyway, since the string change, the guitar, even though it's in tune, just hasn't sounded RIGHT when playing.......I've only recently, this evening in fact, actually found out what intonation is!! (told you I was technically dull) :oops: ..After looking on the internet and reading the Ric manual I did the test on the 12th fret and sure enough some of the strings are definitely slightly sharp..So, do I need to adjust the intonation or just get someone competent to change the strings for me....If I have to change the intonation, is it as simple as turning the screws on the bridge saddle (clockwise in this case) or do I need to consider any other factors?
( I should say that the guitar is new and has only just come back to me from Rosetti who declared the guitar to be fine....it's ONLY since I changed the strings last week that it hasn't sounded quite right.... so I'm ruling out anything major)

Post subject: Re: Do I need to adjust intonation ( technical dummy)
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:49 pm 

It's a pretty easy thing to do, once you've done it two or three times. Figuring out which way to turn the saddle adjustment screw can be a little confusing at first. (But, you quickly realize you're turning the screw the wrong way when the string keeps getting sharper instead of flatter and closer in tune.)

Here's how I do it:

Tune up the string I'm going to check/intonate immediately before starting to work on that string; tune up all strings individually as you get to them -- don't tune all six altogether at once and expect them all to be in tune when you get to them.

Fret the string at the 12th fret and check your meter. If it tells you that you're "sharp" then you need to Lengthen the string, which means you turn the adjustment screw (as you noted) Clockwise --> you are backing the saddle off (pulling it further away from the nut), thereby providing more length of the string. With a greater length the string will go towards "flat" this way, and hopefully be in tune/intonation when you check again. I always loosen the string a little at the tuner (tuning machine) key before adjusting the saddle position. Then I back off the saddle a little -- it's just a guess at this point; maybe a quarter turn if the string is only slightly sharp. Now tune at the full length of the string, and then check intonation at the 12th fret again. It should have changed. It may still be too sharp and you have to repeat the exact same process as before. If you've overadjusted it and the 12th fret tone is now flat, this time you have to turn the saddle adjustment screw counterclockwise to move the saddle up (pushing it closer to the nut).

So, it can take a while the first few times, but after that it's easy to do, and you'll be able to do it relatively fast. You just have to have some patience -- it's all trial-and error. I like to do this when I have nothing else to do. There is satisfaction in being able to do this.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:09 am 

Thanks Maxwell....that's really good advice and sounds easy to follow...I'm going to change the strings first and this time get someone who's competent at that (the wife :oops: ) and then check again..If it's still out I'll do what you've said and let you know how it's gone.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:54 am 

I think it's one of the easiest and safest adjustments you could make. I find changing strings more challenging than intoning.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 am 

Yea, think you're right there :)..Changed the strings and the intonation is better but still the A, G and B are slightly out.....Will have a go at it when I get chance..........do you find Rics to be temperamental guitars?? I love mine but I seem to be picking up on little things all the time :shock:....I've started to have a bit of rattle coming from under the bridge now ( especially when hitting the G and B strings....sort of metallic ringing that is more pronounced when played acoustically but is still there on the amp... It's a lot more pronounced when I play near the bridge as well.....perhaps I'm being too fussy but I'm sure it wasn't like that until the last 6 days or so :|

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:58 pm 

David..Uk1971 wrote:
Do you find Rics to be temperamental guitars?

Let's see: on my 4002 bass, the truss rods and bridge saddles haven't needed adjusting since about 1995; of course I use the same brand and gauge of string every time I have to change. I set the bridge on my 320 when I got it new, and only adjusted it when I bumped the height adjustment screws when I took it off to modify the wiring; I don't have to change it even when going back and forth from standard tuning with a standard "12's" set of strings to the light gauge set I put together for the 4-frets up "terz" tuning I do sometimes. I pick up my 360-12WB FG ckbd up right out of the case, plug it in, and go, even in spite of the original "loose" Klusons. After about the 3rd song I might need to slightly tweak a string or two, depending on how long it's been....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:59 pm 

David..Uk1971 wrote:
Perhaps I'm being too fussy but I'm sure it wasn't like that until the last 6 days or so.

All new strings need some time to settle in. Give it a couple of weeks.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:26 pm 

iiipopes wrote:
David..Uk1971 wrote:
Do you find Rics to be temperamental guitars?

Let's see: on my 4002 bass, the truss rods and bridge saddles haven't needed adjusting since about 1995; of course I use the same brand and gauge of string every time I have to change. I set the bridge on my 320 when I got it new, and only adjusted it when I bumped the height adjustment screws when I took it off to modify the wiring; I don't have to change it even when going back and forth from standard tuning with a standard "12's" set of strings to the light gauge set I put together for the 4-frets up "terz" tuning I do sometimes. I pick up my 360-12WB FG ckbd up right out of the case, plug it in, and go, even in spite of the original "loose" Klusons. After about the 3rd song I might need to slightly tweak a string or two, depending on how long it's been....

Well I must be unlucky then

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:10 pm 

Yeah, the guitar and its new strings need to "settle in" for a couple of weeks. This is especially true if you did not stretch the strings during installation. You should check and tune up the guitar daily (perhaps twice a day, at first). You may need to tighten the strings daily at first, as they stretch, and then you will notice one day that they need hardly any adjustment.

Has your guitar had a recent change in its environment? Temperature, humidity, etc.?

Buzzing: Everyone has issues with this. But since yours coincided with the string change, I'd check that bridge to ensure that all four vertical height adjustment screws are contacting the bridge plate -- the bridge should be stable with no wobble, and all four of the screws should be touching the plate so that they don't possibly rattle.

Sometimes, a string will not be resting securely in its respective saddle notch, even though it looks as if it is. I will grab the string at a point adjacent to the saddle and wiggle it left & right, at the same time forcing it into its notch. I make sure the thick strings adapt sharply over the saddle.

Buzzing at the bridge has driven many players nearly nuts at times. Perhaps my solutions are sort of like Voo Doo, and I think this is what you do if you cannot specifically identify a cause of the buzzing. But, it's usually because something is loose or unsecured. You just have to find it. When you find yours, let us know what it was!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:10 pm 

Will do...........I think you're right about the strings. I really need to get someone who can put them on the way they should be put on. They drop down a bit and need to be tuned up but I played tonight and noticed that I didn't have to do it as much (they are only dropping a bit but I want to them to stay in tune as near as spot on as possible).......I think the bridge screws are okay, will check that though.
I still love the guitar...I just feel the way you described sometimes :?
It's a relief to know that others feel or have felt that way...I suppose it's all a learning curve at the moment.

Board index » Setup And Technical