Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: neck set
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:12 pm 

I own a 360/12V64 that I purchased new. The neck set angle has always seemed extreme, although the guitar has great action and sound, and the bridge sits well off the face of the guitar. However, subjectively, I feel like my chest is collapsed when playing the instrument due to the 'negative' neck set. I am wondering if my instrument is within factory parameters or if it should have not gotten past final inspection. What are the factory tolerances for neck set angle? Do all Ricks have 'negative' neck set? I know that German luthiers often incorporated this into their instruments. Is there a chance that the factory will correct this if my instrument is outside of factory tolerances?
Thanks for your reply,
Bern

Post subject: Re: neck set
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:00 pm 

Are you sure the neck angle is "negative"? Several companies have quite a bit of neck angle, so the relatively straight Rickenbacker angle will feel different. The neck tenon is quite long, so there isn't much tolerance, if any at all, in the neck set.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 am 

I mean that the neck angles 'up' from the face of the guitar, not straight in line like a Fender, or back like a Gibson or Gretsch. The string height is higher off the face at the neck pickup and lower at the bridge. I have owned 4 Ricks and they all had this 'negative' neck set, but this one has the largest angle I have seen. How much should the neck angle up from the face? I have never seen any Rick guitar that is 'straight in line'. I also know that there have been posts about this when the neck set is so angled that the action cannot be lowered as the bridge sits on the face of the instrument and the neck must be reset. I just want to know what the factory ne3ck set angle tolerances are for passing quality control.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:53 am 

Really? The neck angle should be zero (straight in line like a Fender, as you said). I don't know what to tell you about having 4 guitars with this problem. It's quite puzzling. I've owned 4 Rics myself, played dozens of others and have never come across any modern Rickenbacker guitar with this problem. I believe some 12 string models had a similar problem in the mid '60s, but that problem was rectified long ago.

Last edited by Clint on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:54 am 

Is it possible it just seems that way since the height of the neck off of the guitar's face is higher than most other guitars, or because your p'ups are at two different heights?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:15 am 

Thanks for the replies. It's funny, but I have never seen a Rick with straight neck set. Every one I have owned or played, since the early 1960s, has had 'negative' neck set. I just put new strings on a friend's 360, and it, too, had 'negative' neck set. I've owned 2 360/12s, a 450/12, and a 320, all with 'negative' neck set, but not as great as the 360/12V64 I now have (along with the 450/12). Perhaps Mr. Hall can help out. Even when viewing the 'factory tour video' posted at Premier guitar, the instruments under construction seem to have this 'negative' neck set. I'll be happy to get the real answer as I have been curious about this for 45 years and fear that the 360/12V64 I have should not have passed quality control.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:43 pm 

You've really got me curious on this. I, too, would be interested to hear any possible responses from RIC on this. I note you've asked this before, almost two years ago to the day, and didn't get any answers, then. I don't mean this disrespectful in any way (obviously you're a professional and you know your instruments), but I'm just wondering if you're simply seeing/feeling something that's just not there - or rather, feeling/seeing one thing which in reality is something else. Or if it's just personal preference.

I say this because it seems you're the only one who's run across this observation regularly. If you've really never seen one with what you think to be a proper neck angle, including your friends' and colleagues' Ricks, and including those in stores, then I'd say it's not a matter of something of poor quality just slipping by control at the factory every once in a while. What are the chances of that - you seeing only every "bad" Rick that's been produced, and never a good one? This is probably something intentional by design.

I'm also trying to understand what you mean. For one thing, do you mean the "angle" with respect to the top of the guitar (resulting in very high, unfixable action), or with respect to the sides (as if the strings were falling off one side of the fingerboard)? My guess is the former, not the latter. If so, can you simply not lay the guitar down on its strings or on its back (on the floor or a workbench) and see if it sits flat?

Also, since part of your observation of this phenomenon seems to be based on string height relative to pickups (and relative to the guitar's top) as well as bridge height, again I submit that it may be an illusion as a result of the face of the neck being much higher than the face of the top on Ricks than on other guitars.

Again, all of this is meant respectfully.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:16 pm 

Hi, Rickissippi. I think that I need to post an image of the instrument(s) that I am talking about. Perhaps that will help. Coming soon...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:24 pm 

Would be interested to see it. I've been trying to examine my Rick more closely to see if I can understand what you mean.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:29 pm 

Hear are a couple of pix...
Attachment:
HPIM0318 B.JPG
HPIM0318 B.JPG [ 97.73 KiB | Viewed 1612 times ]
Attachment:
HPIM0316 B.JPG
HPIM0316 B.JPG [ 116.33 KiB | Viewed 1612 times ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical