Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: neck set
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:33 pm 

It's not hard to see the neck angle and how much higher the strings are above the face of the guitar at the neck pickup than at the bridge.
Attachment:
HPIM0316 B.JPG
HPIM0316 B.JPG [ 116.33 KiB | Viewed 940 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 am 

Hmm.

Download the Rick owner's manual from this site; the neck is supposed to be dead flat, no relief.

What gauge strings do you keep on your guitars, and have you ever adjusted the truss rods? It looks like it might be a bit late for that at this point, but wow, that looks like some serious neck bow to my eye.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's what I told him by e-mail but he swears he has a straight-edge and the neck is flat. I also said, based on that photo only, I would have guessed it was stored leaned against a wall, strung with heavy strings, and left with a bowed neck for a long time. He also said it was stored in a constant 50% humidity climate, which, of course, is way too high for long term storage of Maple guitars.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:44 pm 

Please understand. Sadly, the main point, which seems to be overlooked here, is that the instrument came like that BRAND NEW, and has not changed. The neck is ruler flat, but the instrument left the factory with that neck set. At first, I didn't think about it too much, as I have owned 4 Ricks since 1966, all bought new, and they all had some 'positive' neck set, but none as much as this. I have just been curious if this is a design influenced by German luthiers, who often used 'positive' neck set. The instrument was always kept in its case when not being played and has never been leaned up against a wall, only placed on standard guitar stands when being used for a recording session. I just checked my hygrometer in the studio and find that the relative humidity is closer to 35% than 50%, as I had stated. This is in my underground recording studio in which conditions remain very constant all year long, here in Los Angeles. If the neck set angle is within factory specifications, then all is OK. But, if the neck set is too severe, I would appreciate Rickenbacker repairing the instrument, as it came this way new, directly from the Rickenbacker dealer (Musician's Friend), and, had I known that the neck set should have been straight, I would have returned it immediately for repair. I just did not know that this was extreme for the neck set. The instrument sounds great and the action and playability are also great, it just feels weird in my hands. Here is a picture of the neck's relief with a straight edge to show that the fingerboaerd is flat (no rocking and no open space to the frets), and a picture of the neck joint, to show that there is no cracking, movement, or damage to the finish, as well as a picture sighted down the neck from the headstock (if there appears to be any type of curvature, as Mr. Hall believed he noticed in the previous pictures, they are purely the result of the camera and lens, not of the instrument). I also included (in the next post) a picture of the hygrometer/temperature reading (34%, 67 degrees F) and the instrument on its stand next to its 'buddies' (I have more than 50 guitars including the two Rickenbacker 12-strings, the other one, a solid-body from the 1970s, has only a small amount of the 'positive' neck set). Please understand, I would not be taking the time to write about this if I had done anything wrong to the instrument. I am a senior citizen (a retired school teacher and long-time professional musician and recording engineer) and I was just ignorant of the knowledge that the neck set should be without this angle. Please understand and help.
Thank you,
B. Levine
Attachment:
HPIM0329 B.JPG
HPIM0329 B.JPG [ 119.41 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Attachment:
HPIM0322 B.JPG
HPIM0322 B.JPG [ 160.21 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Attachment:
HPIM0333 B.JPG
HPIM0333 B.JPG [ 119.63 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 pm 

Hygrometer and some 'buddies'.

B.L.

Attachment:
HPIM0336 B.JPG
HPIM0336 B.JPG [ 83.33 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]
Attachment:
HPIM0343 C.JPG
HPIM0343 C.JPG [ 206.86 KiB | Viewed 918 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:21 pm 

Just be glad your neck isn't twisted! :)

I was just thinking of checking the neck-to-body angle of mine (actually, at both sides -- treble and bass -- of the neck.

What you can do to make this angle more noticable is to lay a yardstick, like you did with the ruler, across the entire length of the neck, with it extendending over the entire length of the guitar's body (i.e., from first fret to lower strap button). You'd probably have to recruit a helper, but if you get a really nice side shot/photo, we can all see what you have, and maybe we could also do the same on our Ricks and give some comparative feedback.... not take a photo, just, say, report the vertical distance from the face of the guitar at the lower end to the edge of the yardstick.... (I, myself, do not have a yardstick on hand; I'd use a length of string held taut. I'll do this soon and post my finding.)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:33 am 

Thanks for sharing the pics. It does appear to be at a bit of a strange angle. I hate to ask the obvious here, but since you've had this question pending for two years on the forum, does that mean you've had this guitar for two years, playing it without issue? Or was your post from two years ago referencing another guitar?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:43 am 

If the neck joint is stable and the guitar plays well, maybe you should just leave well enough alone. Even if the guitar is still under warranty (which I doubt it is) a neck reset would be a pretty major undertaking and your guitar may never sound or play the same again.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:58 am 

No, it has been like this for 11 years when I bought it new. I just never knew that there should be no angle, and the neck should be straight in line with the body. As I said, it plays and sounds great, but feels weird to hold, as if my chest is collapsing. Had I known that it should have been straight in line, I would have returned it immediately. I hope that Rickenbacker will offer a solution. Here's the picture for Maxwell. You can easily see the angle the neck makes with the body.
Attachment:
HPIM0352 B.JPG
HPIM0352 B.JPG [ 57.64 KiB | Viewed 866 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:25 am 

Just a note to BlueRick -
I have the owner's manual that came with my guitar in my hands and there is no mention of neck set, just neck relief.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical