Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Why does my 4003 bass neck relief keep opening?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:15 am 

The neck relief on my 4003 keeps creeping open on its own.

Whenever I do a setup, I record the details for future reference. I have found that the neck relief increases by about 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch whenever I recheck relief, which is about once a month. FWIW, the temp and humidity in its room have remained fairly constant for most of the past year that I've owned the bass: 72 Fahrenheit and 34% relative humidity. When I readjust (tighten truss rods slightly), it feels and plays great, but it's the trend that concerns me.

The bass was manufactured in 2015. Could it be "young" wood adjusting? Could there be a soft spot of wood within the neck? I recognize that wood's a natural material, so it can be a bit unpredictable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any comments, theories, or anecdotes would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Why does my 4003 bass neck relief keep opening?
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:12 am 

Check the acorn nuts at the body end of the truss rods, they could be sinking into the wood. I remember reading other threads here regarding this issue, the fix is to harden up that area using super glue which has been endorsed by John Hall himself as a suitable cure!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:25 pm 

Thanks for the referring me to the acorn-nut issue, Uffingdon. I searched the forum a bit and found lots of related discussion. But while those folks had either completely unresponsive or broken truss rods, neither is the case for me. The rods certainly respond and change the neck relief accordingly. (I'm also one of those for whom the E-side rod is taking nearly all of the load.) I wonder if there's anyone out there who had experience similar to mine, and it just eventually went away.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:05 pm 

BTW, when you speak of "super glue," do you mean cyanoacrylate (Krazy Glue, to use a brand-name example).

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:14 pm 

Yes.

Board index » Setup And Technical