Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 620 neck radius
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:19 am 

Hi

this morning i adjusted the low E side to around .004 and the high E side to around .002 and then plugged it into my Vox AC15 it sounded dull and very "boingy" (if thats the right word) so i decided just to adjust both sides equally until i hit the sweet spot the relief is almost at the same as it was in my last post and it does feel a lot flatter and looking at it its more or less dead straight.

the only thing that concerns me it that there is barely any relief on the low E about .001 is it safe to have a tad bit more relief on one side or will it cause a twist of any sort?

Thanks for all your replies i finally feel like I'm getting some where with it

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:05 pm 

Since you have tried the relief at low E .004 and high E .002 and it was not right for you, from where your at now is would be easy to get .002 on the low E and dead flat on the treble

I do like to see just a tad more relief on the low E side. Maybe all you have to do now is, slightly back up on the Bass side truss rod nut. In general there is more relief given on the Bass side to accommodate it thickness. A slight difference in the amount of relief on each side will not twist your neck. The neck can be set dead flat with maybe a tad of relief on the bass side and that is really good.If you were able to change the relief to the measurements I gave you then it will be easy for you to make another small adjustment from where your at now.

Also to mention, when you put the capo on the first fret, also fret the 14th fret and take your relief measurement from the 7 th fret......not the very last fret
You will get an accurate measurement this way.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:49 pm 

callumleemiddleton wrote:
Thanks il try stretching the strings.

I've let the neck settle over night and checked it again this morning put a capo on the 1st fret and fretting that last fret and there's about .001 of relief on the low E string and about .002 of relief on the high E string, is it normal to have a slight bit more relief on the high E with the string being thinner?

Try taking measurements with the capo on the first fret, then fret the 14th fret ( not the last) and then take your relief measurement from the 7th fret. At what fret have you been taking your measurements from????

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:08 am 

Hi

I've left the neck to settle a good few days and the relief on both sides is about .001 which is as straight has i can hope for. I've adjusted the string height to 2mm on the low and high E measured at the 12th fret.

there doesn't seem to been anymore buzzing or choking and it sounds really good atm so I'm going to leave

thanks for all your posts

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:35 pm 

It sounds like your set up went well. The fact that you have these relief measurements and no buzzes, is a very good sign, I too run my relief at Low E.003 and high E .001 these measurements give a very straight neck. Just keep in mind the manual says " An almost perfectly straight neck'' so yes it does indicate in the manual that a small amount of relief should be used. I think by your measurement your guitar neck is right, very flat indeed!

Please just leave it now, play it and have fun, if you have a lot of weather change and your guitar buzzes then you will have to re-adjust, if the buzzing happens every time the weather shift a little, it maybe best to just give it a tiny a mount more relief, as you don't want to be adjusting at every change in weather. A tad more relief sometimes will be more stable and not be affected by change with the weather, a bit more relief may give you much longer between adjustments. A guitar that is too finely set up with a perfectly straight neck of below .001 will be a potential buzzmachine if the weather changes, or you strings are not new and perfect. There's more than just measurements in setting neck relief, there are other considerations!

Board index » Setup And Technical