Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 620 neck radius
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 pm 

I think what I'm going to do is give the frets a quick polish, and clean the fretboard using a bit of turtle wax 50/50 with warm water and then restring it with some lighter round wound strings (10s)

and then adjust the action and try and achieve a dead straight neck once i find a tool i would order the RIC wrench but i live in the uk and most places selling it are over in the USA, i found this on ebay for £5.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-Pro-Serie ... 490wt_1126

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'd need a 6.5mm if you want to stay metric, otherwise this 1/4" would be more like it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDS-Racing-Nut-Driver-1-4-x-100mm-/310370539458?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item48438697c2

However, it's likely you'll have to carefully grind the socket down to make the wall thinner. Also, the shaft looks pretty short, which is to say you might not be able to fit it on the nut without the handle hitting the head of the guitar.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:24 am 

"Bit holders" are 1/4 inch. Here's what I have -- very long (blade/shaft = 300mm) and quality made. Nut portion is rather thin; I did not have to grind mine.

Here's a UK distributor (also in the USA, etc.):

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_supplier_id=431&WT.z_page_type=SP&WT.z_page_sub_type=SS&WT.z_oss_type=Keyword&v=431&lang=en&site=uk&KeyWords=38460&x=14&y=7

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:52 pm 

...Just in case that supplier does not have any assets/products actually located in the UK:

Wiha tools, Extra Long Screwdriver Insert Bit Holder #38460

Wiha tools are made in Germany, so you should be able to find one somewhere in the UK.

Quality product with a lifetime guarantee.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:22 pm 

Hi I've managed to get a tool that fit well, and got the neck almost dead straight on both sides (the treble side was very loose). once i achieved that it completely messed up the intonation so i corrected that, the neck feels a lot better but I've noticed theres abit of fret buzz or shall i say fret slap esp when doing power cords and also the G string chokes a little at the 12th fret. I'm thinking that the string height is a little on the low side (2mm on the low E and just over 1.5mm on the high E side).

Does anybody know the factory measurements at the 12th fret?

Thanks for you replies

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:55 pm 

Well, it's possible that the action is a little low, but powerchords do sometimes buzz with newer strings. I doubt it's the frets.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:51 pm 

S-T-R-E-T-C-H those new strings before making any further adjustments. You should basically be able to pick up the guitar by inserting a screwdriver or flat knife under the 12th fret and pick it up gently.

As the shampoo bottle says, REPEAT.

You will find things, at any rate, much more stable even if your specific problem has not been solved.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:01 am 

Thanks il try stretching the strings.

I've let the neck settle over night and checked it again this morning put a capo on the 1st fret and fretting that last fret and there's about .001 of relief on the low E string and about .002 of relief on the high E string, is it normal to have a slight bit more relief on the high E with the string being thinner?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:14 pm 

In most situations, more relief is left on the low E bass side to accommodate it's thickness, less relief is need on the high E as it is thinner and can be setup closer to the finger board. I can see from the measurements you have given you are very close to getting it spot on, only one small adjustment will probably be needed! I would bring the low E to .004 and the treble to .002.Those measurements will leave you with a very straight neck. After that you can adjust your action height at the bridge. If you get any buzzing, just get back! Personally I much prefer to take measurements, it is more accurate then just 20/20+ vision Recommendations for many guitar when setting up is relief at .008 to .006, I find that way to much relief, I like to get all my guitars relief at max .005 but generally I get them .004 low E and .002 high E, this seems perfect for the Ric 6 stringers.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 pm 

A Ric can handle more stringent (lower) relief values than most other instruments.

It's one of the qualities you are paying for that translates into great playability.

Follow the jbudweiser measurements, and maybe fine-tune from there for your personal preferences.

Board index » Setup And Technical