Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Trapeze tailpiece - high or low?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:28 am 

Strange how long it can take to notice things...

The plate of my trapeze is as close as physically possible to the body of the guitar, because the tail end is hooked on at the very bottom of the, er, hooks. This means that the ball ends of the strings are probably pressing into the finish or even the wood.

Is this the designed or recommended configuration? Should I attempt to raise the end of the plate to the top of the hooks? It appears that this might require me to bend the hooks neckward slightly, so I'm not in a hurry to experiment without advice.

Post subject: Re: Trapeze tailpiece - high or low?
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:38 am 

Quote:
This means that the ball ends of the strings are probably pressing into the finish or even the wood.
I have the string ball ends on my trapeze tailpieces above the tailpiece and not below, i.e. the string is thread through the hole from above. I think this is the standard factory setup although I'm not sure. Can anyone clarify this?

This would certainly stop them from pressing into the wood and works just fine.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
This means that the ball ends of the strings are probably pressing into the finish or even the wood.
I have the string ball ends on my trapeze tailpieces above the tailpiece and not below, i.e. the string is thread through the hole from above. I think this is the standard factory setup although I'm not sure. Can anyone clarify this?

This would certainly stop them from pressing into the wood and works just fine.
That is correct.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:22 am 

That is to say, the ball end is supposed to be sticking out of the top of the slot.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:10 am 

the trapeze on my room mates 350v63 and my 660/12 are both at the bottom of the hooks as well, but the tailpiece doesnt come close to the body at all.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:47 pm 

Quote:
the trapeze on my room mates 350v63 and my 660/12 are both at the bottom of the hooks as well, but the tailpiece doesnt come close to the body at all.

Sounds reasonable - I guess the tension is then pulling the neck end of the trapeze slightly more "upward". It won't look quite as neat (from a distance) but it'll be a lot easier to re-string. Thanks all.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:08 pm 

I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum on Saturday and they have some amazing stuff there (two of John's guitar's and one of George's). I had a good look at John Lennon's 325/12. One thing I noticed was that the strings were strung with the ball ends sticking down towards the finish. I'm sure it's a common mistake. If you get a chance you should check out the Museum. I had a great time. -Wayne

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:21 am 

Quote:
I was at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum on Saturday and they have some amazing stuff there (two of John's guitar's and one of George's). I had a good look at John Lennon's 325/12.

Cool! I was there yesterday. I too got a great look at John's 325/12. It had very low action and still had fingerprints on it, AWESOME! But there was a gaurd at every door so as bad as I wanted too, I had to leave it for others to enjoy!!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:08 am 

Well, I'm sure they'd let you borrow it for the weekend if you asked nice (haha)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:39 am 

My 660/12 came new with the ball-ends on the bottom of the trapeze. They are nowhere near digging into the finish.

This is how I've been stringing my customers' traps ever since. Never had one dig yet...Now I find out I'm incorrect?

I'm typical in that once I see something and it looks and works right, I adopt it as my method from then on. Now I find out that my new 660/12 was strung incorrectly?

Hmmmm...

Board index » Setup And Technical