Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 4003 action problem - even after a setup
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 am 

I've recently acquired a very pretty blueburst off eBay. I took it into my local music shop for a set-up, and when I collected it the owner told me that he'd never seen a Rick like it, as with the neck straight and the bridge set to it's absolute lowest the action was still quite high.

Put this into perspective, this chap has set-up a lot of Ricks in the past, and is a local dealer. He has done Ricks of mine for the past 20 years, and always sets them up superbly, neck straight and action low enough to make fingers really fly. This one though, whilst certainly not unplayable, is different.

Are there any suggestions to correct this? Filing saddles?

Post subject: Re: 4003 action problem - even after a setup
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm 

Can you confirm the neck is straight with some sort of straightedge?--the string depressed at both ends of the fingerboard for instance can help you check over the 9th fret.

If the neck really is straight and the bridge is bottomed out but the action is still high (numbers would help) you've got a real problem, most likely a bad neck angle. I have seen this on a lot of older Rics but not so much on the newer ones. My 1976 4001FL that had a lot of wood removed from the neck pickup cavity by a previous owner had a bad neck angle. To remedy that and get it playable, because I really liked other things about it, I had to have a luthier do something pretty extreme, which was to countersink the tailpiece into the body about 1/16''. Now I love the results but I still would have hated to do something like that to a new instrument otherwise in good shape. Hopefully this is not what needs to happen...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:23 am 

The neck is dead straight having checked using the method you describe.

The action height is roughly and unscientifically about 4mm on the E string side, which is higher than my other Rickys. As I said, it is far from unplayable, but I will have to keep the neck dead straight to keep it manageable.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:55 am 

bassrog wrote:
The neck is dead straight having checked using the method you describe.

The action height is roughly and unscientifically about 4mm on the E string side, which is higher than my other Rickys. As I said, it is far from unplayable, but I will have to keep the neck dead straight to keep it manageable.

This may seem like a silly question, but how high in the bridge?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:15 pm 

What year is your Blueburst 4003? Besides checking the neck angle, have your guitar tech check the depth of the nut and saddle grooves.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:18 am 

It's a 2007, and the bridge is set as low as possible. The only possible solution I can think of is to deepen the saddle grooves.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:51 am 

The problem with deepening the grooves is eventually you run out of break angle and the string buzzes in the saddle. So be careful. This is the first I've heard of this issue on a modern Ric. I consider anything over 3 mm high action for myself. I aim for 2 mm but I have one bass that I keep at 3.

Board index » Setup And Technical