Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Cant make any Relief on guitar neck...
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:07 am 

I think that I have problem with my Rickenbacker 360 neck.. (jan. 2011)
I cant make relief on neck. Neck is straight and there is a lot of buzzing on strings. I checked my neck by pressing string on frst and 12th fret at the same time,
and the string on 6th fret almost touches the fret, there is not enough space between.
I tryed to loose truss rods, so I can make some relief on neck.
I turned each of nuts counter clockwise a bit and realize, that nuts makes no tension to truss rod. I can unscrew it all the way, but nothing happens ( I left loosened nuts with about half milimeter free space for a couple of days, but nothing happen, neck is still straight as it was. The only thing I can do is tigthen truss rod (i suppose, didnt try that)....but I wish loose the tension.
What can I do? Is something wrong with my guitar? I bought it about year ago. I tryed to fix this problem from the first day I bought it, but no success.
I also replaced strings with hevier gauge (0,011-0,048), raised the bridge, but buzzing problem remains....

Post subject: Re: Cant make any Relief on guitar neck...
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 am 

Contact customer service at RIC, this forum will only provide you with speculation whereas they can actually assist you.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While we'll try to help anyone wherever they are, given that he is in Slovenia makes it a bit more difficult if he needs hand-on service.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:44 pm 

Ah, I hadn't caught that about his location.

Since you've tried heavier strings maybe now's the time to take the truss rods out altogether and see if something about their conformation is the problem?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:58 pm 

Make sure you are actually RAISING the bridge when you adjust it. Turning the set screw clockwise raises the bridge, which is the opposite to what you might think.

I have made this mistake more than a few times. If the neck is perfectly flat (as it seems to be), the solution may be to get some slightly longer screws for the bridge height adjustment or to add a metal shim under the screw contacts.

The truss rod nuts need to be at least finger tight or you will get some buzz as they loosten.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:04 pm 

cassius987 wrote:
Ah, I hadn't caught that about his location.

Since you've tried heavier strings maybe now's the time to take the truss rods out altogether and see if something about their conformation is the problem?

I replaced strings at once after purchasing. After then I try to set up truss rod nuts as I mentionen before...
But what do you mean to take out truss rods? Is it possible to do anything else on truss rod except tightening and loosening nuts..? I suppose that any other actions must leave to experts, dont you think so?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:05 pm 

Of course I didnt left truss rod nuts loosen.... i tigten them with my finger, as you suggest..
I know how to raise the bridge. I did, raised it all the way up,.... reduced buzzing a little bit, but still remains...
I can raise it more as you said, but I am affraid, that strings would be too high for normal comfort playing...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:38 pm 

Brane, yes leave the truss rods in, it is better to seek out a good guitar tech if the rods ever need removing. Only do what you know and feel confident with.

OK you say you have no relief and buzzing. I really would like to have some exact measurements if that's possible. Your going to need a feeler gauge to actually measure the gap between the string and the fret. Capo gets clamped on the first fret, fret the 16th fret with your finger, then at the 7th fret measure the distance between the string and fret The feeler gauge is need to take the measurement. You will need gauges at .002 to .008

Tell us after you measure the gauge that fits just between the gap at the 7th fret,,,,,that will give us the measurement.Take this measurement on the low E and high E. This problem your having is still a bit of a mystery as, normally most Ric's can be set up with a very straight neck and no buzz! I also note you are using 11's.

Take those measurements, get back and maybe we can find a solution. Where is the buzzing from? Any particular string , fret, any other clues!

If you can take that measurement and also tell us your string height measurement it will confirm what relief you have. You should be able to run 10's or 11's without any buzz! Do you have a RIC truss rod wrench? You will need one at some stage, best you get one.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:43 am 

OK. I measured gap at 7th fret as you suggest and it is 0,008 inch under both E strings..
I also change settings on bridge. I lifted it all the way up is possible.
Now it seems to be OK, there is no more buzzing mostly. When I pick strings singly is OK, there is some on E and B string when I play bare chords.
I must press very hard and precise, but still not always successful (the biggest problem is B string). Maybe I need some practice....
So, it's pretty OK when playing chords, but now it is dificult for me when soloing on higher frets, because strings are prety high for my sense of playing.
The gap between lower E string and 12th fret is 0,12 inch. Is this normal?
I dont have RIC truss rod wrench. I use similar to it. It is not problem, because I dont need to tighten wrench and I can loose it very easy, by hand.
But I will get original one at the first opportunity (i cant buy it here in Slovenia, because they dont sell RIC guitars at all). Do you know the right mark for this wrench?
Thank you for your effort and instructions.
Brane

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:30 pm 

Great you have taken and provided some meausurement. Could you give me that string height at the 12 fret in mm ( sorry)

YOU DO have RELIEF .008! that's even too much!
This is why I like the measurements, it clarifies in most situations
I doubt your Buzz is from frets!

Brane if your gap under the low E and high E are .008 ( Note this is too high especially on the High E) It is normal for the Relief to be less on a Rickenbacker!

Also with the set up on your guitar as is with lots of relief ( .008) and running 11's and the bridge raised........I doubt if you could possibly get buzzing from FRETS!

Tell me if this buzzing is coming through the amp? If you have fret buzz it sounds like a SITAR not guitar.

There are a few things you could do

Tell me the 12 fret string height and also can your bridged be raised and lowered from it present position ?

Look very closely and see if you can located any string or fret that is causing the buzz. Is this buzz heard when plug in and playing or only when up plugged?
You mention buzz on the E and B string when playing a barre chord, which fret when being barre causes the buzz

I think you could actually tighten the rods until you get .003 on the bass E and .002 on the high E. You string height should be 2 mm at 12 fret on both E strings and NO BUZZ

Many players of Ric, set the neck dead straight, then simply raise the action till there is no buzz ( that's the best way) start off with a very straight neck and all other set up work is carried out from there. What you normally get from a RIC set-up is a straight neck and a rather low action across all strings evenly, it should be very easy to play.

If it a brand new guitar and you have just put new strings on you might get a little rattle from the bridge till the strings settle down, but that will go and won't be heard plugged in!

Board index » Setup And Technical