Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Cant make any Relief on guitar neck...
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:29 am 

My gap measure 0,008 was in inches... jut to understand each other.
As I said, i raised my bridge all the way up ..... cant lift it any more, and at this position of bridge, the gap under lower E string at 12 fret is 3,05 mm. I think it's too high, but if i lower the bridge, there is more buzzing.
At this high position on bridge, as I mentioned, I had problem with buzzing mostly in B string with bare chords. That is, because I mostly cant press hard enough this string with my forefinger.. I realize that buzzing starts mostly from 4th fret and on...
I am using Elixir nanoweb medium strings (0.011-0.049)
I found out, that buzzing comes from frets, and I heard it when I play unplugged.. I cant hear clearly any buzzing from Amp.
Guitar is practicaly as new (I own a few guitars more (not RICs), so i didnt play my RIC a lot..)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:19 pm 

Hi Brane it must be a beautiful guitar and I've forgotten to say welcome previously

OK we have established you do have relief in inches .008 , the strings are 11's
but your string (action height) is 3mm, yes that is high!
I understand why your having trouble with barre chords,,, the action is high
There are a few thing do can look at and maybe do.

If you lower the action to 2mm or 2.2mm and plug it into the amp can you hear any buzz?

If you don't have buzz leave it! If you do have buzz, I would like you to find out which fret is buzzing. Then with magnified glasses look very closely when you press down at the buzzing fret, can you see the string actually come in contact with the next fret when you strike it? Also just have a look at the clearance, is there some clearance at the next fret?

You mentioned your truss rods are only hand tight......I think they should be tighter than hand tight. Can you buy a truss rod wrench on ebay? It is worth mentioning when you do check neck relief it is better to have the guitar in a playing position, if you do take measurement with force on the neck, they won't be as accurate. Also be very careful with tools when working on your Ric, keep the area your working on covered or protected from damage to the finish,,,, your guitar is new!

Let us know what happenes after you lower the action and plug in.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:14 pm 

Yes, my RIC 360 is realy very beautiful guitar (Jetglo colour) and I like it very much..... just to get rid of this buzzing problem and.............
Well, thank you very much for your help. I will continue to set up my guitar by your instructions.. but I must get truss rod wrench at first place. Unfortunately I cant buy RIC products in my country, so I must go on ebay (uk). It usualy lasts a week and more to get delivery. (my RIC guitar delivery takes a week from uk.)
So, when I get my tools I will continue my work and contact you again....

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 pm 

Yes Brane be patient until you get the correct Rickenbacker wrench, others tend to be too thick and you don't have enough room or they are to short! It's is best to get the real thing and it will fit perfectly,,,,,others you may have to modify. I purchased my wrench from the UK also

Do try not worrying about buzz that is heard unplugged for the moment. Try to lower the action and listen only to what sound is coming out of your amp, the action should be comfortable at 2mm Some guitars sound like they buzz when play acoustically ( especially new ones) Plug that same guitar into and amp and no buzz at all!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:32 am 

Well, I've finished setting up my guitar.
I've bought original Rickenbacker wrench.... every day I tightened neck a bit and observed..and after a week, I thik it's OK now
Gauge at 7th fret is ,004 - 0.005 inch, string hight at 12 fret is 2mm.
I checked with my Amp (with headphones) and its OK, cant recognize any buzz ..
Of course there is still buzzing when playing unplugged, but if it is normal as you says, I will get used to this..
Thanks again for your help

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:20 pm 

Great work, those measurements sound correct, you have indeed got it perfect.
I was going to guide you through this, but you have already got the result you needed :)

You could have adjusted the rods in two days as your neck was not too bad, but it's Ok if you did it in smaller steps ( you get the same result)

String height, should be correct at 2mm
What is your relief gap on the high E?. You have got .004 on the low E
It still would be good to check the high E.

Re the acoustic buzz. Play it now, enjoy it for a month! Then we might see if after a month if the buzz just disappears. Plugging in and amping up you say that no buzz can be detected, that's good that is all that is needed at this stage.

Brane, tell me are you now happy with the sound of this new guitar and the action since you did the adjustments? I'm very pleased you have the correct tool and you know how to adjust this beautiful guitar. I suppose in your location, as is mine, that our instruments are much harder to get, so we tend to appreciate them more. When you get time don't forget I wish to hear what you think of the sound of this axe

Board index » Setup And Technical