Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: slight fret buzz on treble 'E'
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:09 pm 

Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo . Neck is adjusted flat , but there is a little fret buzz on the high 'E' at the third fret . Only really noticeble if i dig in hard .I would like to eliminate entirely if possible.I am set up with Ernie Ball super slinky .009s
Normally , this would be solved by having a little relief or bow to the neck , so the 7th fret has a small gap between string and fret when the string is capo'd at the first string and pressed down at the 12th fret . This is normally done by loosening the truss rod slightly and this is my problem . The truss rod on the treble side is already adjusted so the nut is loose , so I cannot loosen any more. I have adjusted the action to my liking , but still a little buzz at the 3rd fret .

Am i correct in all my logic above?? And if so , is my only fix to raise the action further?? I don't want to contemplate a fret dress on the guitar yet.
:?: :?: :?:
I appreciate your expert comments and feedback.

Post subject: Re: slight fret buzz on treble 'E'
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:58 pm 

Don't lower the river, maybe raise the bridge, literally.

Add a little piece of alum foil in the bridge saddle for the e and see if gradually building this up leads to a cure. The .09 string set is probably a little under-tensioned overall, especially on the treble side.

You can also do the same at the nut. Coming back to my seasonal visit to AZ. I had a few guitars that had similar symptoms due to wood drying out over the summer. You may have to add a small shim under the treble side of the nut (or replace the nut...) if you really expect LOW action.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:28 pm 

Beside Buchrobs suggestion there maybe a few other things you could consider.
Ok your set up with a flat neck, it's only buzzing on one fret, on one string if you dig in!

Here are some things you can check, they may or may not help!

Are the strings new? Maybe try changing the E string to see if it just that string! Have you ever had those strings changed to different tuning? It only takes the slightest kink on a treble E string and it will buzz. You realise with 10's you would probably be OK, Buchrob believes that the 9's set slinky may be under tensioned, I tend to agree, I'm just wondering if the 9's slinky maybe just a tad too light, you say you cannot loosen the truss rod treble side further!

Another thought is it can sometime take a day for the neck to fully adjust after a rod adjustment, it may take a day or so and the buzz may just go! It maybe easier to raise the action ever so slightly just to take that buzz out of the picture. Lets us know what eventuates.

What strings or set up did you have on it when there was no buzz, What did you change that brought on the E string 3rd fret buzz??? Was it a string change from 10's to 9's slinky??

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:31 am 

Just noticed another comment by original poster: there has to be some tension on the truss rod nut. Had a 650 nut come loose in transport once and it had random buzzing and rattles galore till the nut was re-tightened.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:19 am 

Thanks for your input.I realise that 0.010s will probably solve the problem. I just like 0.009's!! . The bridge is raised as high as it will go; the small springs under the bridge adjust screw heads are fully compressed(although the action is not particularly high). I have also taken up the truss rod nut slack so it does not rattle. To be honest , It is not a really big issue , I just have all my guitars set with no rattle!! Made worse if I play using a thick pick.
I'll try the 0.010's next and let you know how they get on!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am 

Did you adjust the truss rods at all after changing from 10's to 9's? If not, then yes, there may be a tad of backbow indicating a slight (1/4 turn) loosening of the truss rods.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:46 pm 

No , I didn't adjust the truss rod when i changed to the .009's .I normally wouldn't touch it , unless there was a noticeable issue when playing , such as the one now. however, it is not that bad , and I am being super critical with the buzz.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:49 pm 

neilcoates wrote:
No , I didn't adjust the truss rod when i changed to the .009's .I normally wouldn't touch it , unless there was a noticeable issue when playing , such as the one now. however, it is not that bad , and I am being super critical with the buzz.

OK, but we have now ascertained that no rod adjustment was done, it was good that iiipopes asked for clarification as we know where we stand! It's OK to be critical it's your guitar and if it a problem for you then we will try to find a solution

It seems as if now the only change that was made is a new set of slinky 9's
If you could loosening the rod/rods this would help......but you have no further adjustment available as yours are backed off already!

I think the 9'slinky maybe just a tad too light on the treble side. Did you find you didn't like the 10's ?

I'm not to sure what else you can do, I think the new strings in .009 gauge maybe working against you on this guitar! However iiipopes or others with more knowledge than I may know what you can do to make your guitar accommodate these slinky strings. Yes I think if you went back to 10's you will have no issues.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:12 pm 

We are down to ONE string, ONE fret, SINGLUAR problem with a slightly under-sized string.

I know you may love the 09 slinky's, but would it kill to install just an orphan .10 high e and let us know if everything else falls into place?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:43 pm 

Here's the only alternative I can see: confirm that the fret in question is indeed relatively high (and I cannot imagine it is not) with this or something like it: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Measuring/Fret_Rocker.html, and then carefully adjust the fret (only that small section underlying that one string).

Board index » Setup And Technical