Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Using a 360/12 String as a 6 string?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:23 am 

Hi folks,

I'm going to be getting myself a 360 for Christmas. While I want a 360/6, I have heard of some people using a /12 as a 6. The Edge being one example (if anyone has seen the Popmart Video-although he's using a 330).

Is this something thats really feasible? If its something that would compromise the playing of the instrument too much, or potentially damage it, then I wouldnt want to do it, but if its something that many players do, then maybe it would be worth me shelling out a little more for the versatility.

Thanks in advance for any pointers anyone can give, and its really great to see a forum where so many lovers of the instrument come together with so much enthusiasm.

Post subject: Re: Using a 360/12 String as a 6 string?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:24 am 

Sure I did that once with a 12 string not a Ric....just have some extra hardware it should work just fine

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:35 am 

why? If you want a 6 string, then buy a 6 string...

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:42 am 

Ligumo,

I suppose it's possible to use a 12 string as a 6-string. Of course one would have to adjust the truss rods accordingly. Personally I'd have one of each. My two cents :)

Eggman

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:10 am 

I've done this with a cheapo acoustic I inherited a long time ago... the big issue was that the nut and saddle were cut for a 12, so the strings were off-center and felt really weird.

I suppose you could do it, but I don't understand why you'd want to... just have the nut recut (probably a $50 job at a shop for a bone one with a setup) and get a 6-string bridge for $70.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:58 pm 

I actually have more RIC 12s than 6s. Thus, I also was thinking of using my CW-360/12 as a six and take advantage of the vintage pickup sound. My two 6-string models both have humbuckers.

So I did take off the octave strings and give it a try. But you're right. Everything kind of minutely shifts upward toward the Low E due to the 12 bridge and nut. So it just doen't feel exactly right. It can be done and I doubt of it would cause any majot harm. It's not major but a 12 played as a 6 just doesn't totally cut it, I think.

So the Carl W. is now a proper 12 again.

Which creates a convenient excuse for this 12-string owner to justify the purchase of a shiny, new (or barely used) 6 string RIC with some VPs.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:30 pm 

I have both 360/12 and 360/6. They feel and play quite differently. If I had to have only one of them, I would take the 12 because I love the sound. There used to be a RIC that was convertable. I think you may be able to find the hardware called a "comb" that was used to pull the octave strings out of the way to allow you to play 12 or 6 strings. Maybe that is your answer.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The 6-12 converter, unfortunately, was not a perfect solution. You were always fretting 12 strings and as a six stringer, the strings were still offset just like you would have if you partially destrung a twelve stringer. But obviously you could make the conversion back and forth somewhat more quickly, and you could also make it anything from 7 to 11 strings as well.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:19 pm 

Thank-you everyone for you insights. I'll probably go for a /6 after reading your replies, and maybe put the /12 on the list for next Christmas!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:00 am 

Can I be on your Christmas list as well?

Honest, Pere Noel, I have been a very good boy this year and would like a 360/12MG with vintage PU's to go with my 360/6.

I have brushed my teeth, picked up my clothes, eaten all my vegetables and taken out the trash every time I am asked and even when I am not. I have picked on my little sister or broken any of her dolls (well, cutting off Barbie's head was a scientific experiment but no one else saw it that way...).

Please, Father Christmas... I won't aak for anything else (except maybe a good sepllchekir).

Board index » Setup And Technical