Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: 620 low E buzz
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:20 pm 

jbudweiser wrote:
If the buzzing still persist after you have done this. I will ask you to inspect your low E nut slot just in case it's a bit low or worn down a tad.

+1

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:21 pm 

callummiddleton wrote:
I took the guitar to be setup today and the tech said the neck was too straight and needed more relief. i always thought with RICs the neck needs to be dead straight?

YES! RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS TECH AND TAKE YOUR GUITAR WITH YOU AND DON'T LET HIM TOUCH IT. I'M SERIOUS!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:00 pm 

The fender set- up is only a basic guide and I am familiar with it, I know it will not accommodate all guitars . I would consider .10 relief as too much relief on a RIC.
Just to give you an idea most guitars that are made and set up at the fender custom shop leave with a much straighter neck than .10. So I hope your tech doesn't add too much relief.
There is a fine line between dead straight and almost dead straight. Once you have been setting up your own guitars for some time it is very easy to tell. I can easily check the relief without any measuring. I have sometimes checked all my guitars with the feeler gauge as a matter of interest, it also gave me a reference for any future setups and adjustments.
In most cases all my guitars including my Rickenbacker's all have a relief of between
,006 to .002 . To be specific I think my relief on both my Ric's is .002 to .004, and no buzzing from any guitar. If you find your tech gives your Ric any more relief than .006 to stop this buzz than he should look at what is really causing the buzzing. He should be able to tell what frets or frets are causing the buzz or if it's something else. I do hope you tech does solve your buzz but manages to do it without adding the .10 that the fender guide recommends or raising the string height above your preferred height, low action is the go! It maybe a worn low E nut slot.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:35 pm 

Ive got the guitar back from the tech and when i got it back there was no buzzing but the action was really high grrrrrr

Ive tweaked around with it and now ive got the relief set at about .004 and the string height set at 2mm on the bass and 1.6mm on the treble and now theres is very little buzz which is acceptable

Ive read on here people having there string height set at 1.6mm on both treble and bass sides but when i lower my bass side to 1.6mm the buzzing comes back, do i need to add more relief to be able to lower the string height?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:38 pm 

I'm glad you got back despite your bad experience with that guitar tech!
iiipopes was correct, you should have run! I had a bad feeling that your guitar tech was going to do something silly like raise the action or give it way too much relief to get rid of the buzz rather than find the real problem. Any old fool could raise the action!

What height did the guitar dude set your string height?

A decent guitar tech or Rickenbacker owner could find the real problem in the blink of an eye.

Yes you are correct there would be many that have their string height at 1.6mm, it is a very comfortable height to play at. However in is fine to have a bit more height on the bass side.
For the moment it is best you leave the truss rods.

calllamiddleton is it just the low E that is still buzzing???? Is it buzzing on an open low E and or certain frets? In an early post I left a test you can do on your low E nut slot, if your low E nut slot is worn it will cause a buzz off the open string. If however if it is buzzing when you fret it then it is not a worn low E nut slot, in that case it maybe something else or section of fret underneath the low E string and tad high. It might be helpful to know, exactly how you are measuring relief is it with capo on first fret and depressed 16th fret or very last fret?, it is good to know exactly how your measuring. From what fret are you measuring string height,12th or 17th???

I now do think that it is best you set up this guitar, until you do find a decent knowledgeable Rickenbacker tech.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:47 am 

Ive looked at the nut and it plays perfectly open notes with out any buzz so i think the nut is fine.

Im measuring the relief with a capo on the 1st fret and fretting the last fret measuring the gap between the 7th and 8th fret with a feeler gauge and im measuring the string height at the 17th fret.

The buzzing is mainly coming from the low E and A strings on the 4th up to the 9th fret esp when fretted hard.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:29 pm 

callummiddleton wrote:
Ive looked at the nut and it plays perfectly open notes with out any buzz so i think the nut is fine.

I'm measuring the relief with a capo on the 1st fret and fretting the last fret measuring the gap between the 7th and 8th fret with a feeler gauge and im measuring the string height at the 17th fret.

The buzzing is mainly coming from the low E and A strings on the 4th up to the 9th fret esp when fretted hard.

OK Great we can now eliminate the nut from the puzzle, if you can play open without buzzing, the nut is fine. Good work! With the info you have given it might make it easier for me or any other forum member to diagnosis this buzz problem.

For the moment we now have only 2 basic adjustments that I can think of that may help, the bridge saddle height (string height) and truss rods. Unfortunately we have already tried to make adjustments and the buzz still persists. However there are a still few things we can check which may help solve the buzz problem.

Try this, measure relief with capo on the first fret and this time depress the 16th fret. put the feeler gauge under the 7th or 8th fret and measure. Your buzz seems to be from the 4th fret to the 9th fret. If you look very closely with magnifying glasses you can also do another small check, when you strike a E or A string starting from the 4th fret up can you see the string actually make contact with the frets. That way you will be able to actually see where the buzz is coming from the frets as well as hear it at the same time.

This next check is so simply and at this stage worth a try, put a capo across the fret position that is buzzing the worst, then strike the string and at the very same time put your other hand over the bridge cover and place your finger on it, see if when you move your finger into a different positions it does not change the buzz, that way you can be certain the buzz is not coming directly from the from bridge. I doubt that the buzz is the bridge but to double check it is so fast and easy.

When you strike the string to do a check only strike it a bit harder than your normal playing attack.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:53 pm 

I don't quite understand how you mean to cheak the bridge but what I did was put my ear to body of the guitar and I can hear the buzz come from around the bridge area so it could be an issue with the bridge?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:00 pm 

callummiddleton wrote:
I don't quite understand how you mean to cheak the bridge but what I did was put my ear to body of the guitar and I can hear the buzz come from around the bridge area so it could be an issue with the bridge?

OK it was just hard to explain but it is quite simple. Strike the string or fret and strike the string where the buzzing is, at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,,,very quickly move your hand over the bridge and touch it in a few areas. If you press on the bridge and all of a sudden the buzz stops then you have found the source of the buzz.

I just suggested putting a capo on the guitar so you had another hand free!
You said the E and A string 4th fret to 9th fret where buzzing, so if you put a capo on one of those frets and strike the string you can have 2 hands moving over the bridge to try to find the problem.

Check your bridge cover is screwed in so it is firm.

You may wish to plug the guitar into an amp to do this test just to amplify the buzz and sustain it while you touch the bridge . Mind you some buzzes do not get amplified and are only heard acoustically.

I doubt that it is the bridge, however it must be ruled out and it is a 1 minute ckeck

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:54 pm 

Putting a capo on the first fret pretty well rules out the nut as the source of the problem. But just to be sure, stick a popsicle stick under the strings as they exit the nut towards the fingerboard, then put a capo on the first fret. There's no way the nut can buzz.

Raise the bridge on the BIG string side. Usually you want a little more clearance on the big E than the little e because its oscillations are more intense than the small string and much more likely to cause a buzz. A string just follows along and clearance problems usually disappear by the D string, which is physically much smaller than the two thickest.

Do it in a BIG way just to test. If the buzz has gone away, then gradually lower till it reappears, then go in the other direction a bit. May have to re-adjust after a few days.

And please make sure that all 4 screws that support the bridge are making correct contact with the body. Otherwise the bridge is a 4-legged table with on a little short and more than willing to rattle.

And don't necessarily send a bill to the genius who sold you the high set-up. He eliminated the nut as a problem and obviously pointed to the bridge as being a big part of the cure.

Board index » Setup And Technical