Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Schaller tuning machine knob finish beginning to peel-HELP!
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 am 

While restringing my Ric 370/12 RM for the the first time since I purchased it back in 2005, I noticed that my inside high E tuning machine knob finish was beginning to peel. There was a rough spot that I could feel on the knob and the next thing I know is that the finish gave way to a peel while the knob was being turned with a Plane Waves peg winder. I thought about contacting Schaller that makes the tuning machines, but I thought I'd see if anyone else ever experienced the issue. I realize that if the guitar is kept in a harsh environment such near ocean air, but that is not the case here. The guitar is kept in its case when not played and this is the first time since I purchased the guitar that I really started to turn the tuning machines. I only had to make minor adjustments over the years since it always stayed in tune.

Any suggestions of how to adhere the peeled finish back on. It is still attached. Just was not sure what kind of epoxy, glue, or adhesive to use. Suggestions are welcome. I've never seen this happen to any of my other guitars. This one is from 1988, but doesn't seem old enough for something like this to happen. I searched the web, but have yet to find the issue mentioned or common.

Post subject: Re: Schaller tuning machine knob finish beginning to peel-HE
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:39 pm 

Peeling plating happens. Sometimes it takes years to show up. Don't bother trying to glue it back - it won't hold up. Just order a new button. The screw in the end comes out and you just put a new one on. You don't even need to remove the string.
I believe Stewart- MacDonald sells them.

Post subject: Re: Schaller tuning machine knob finish beginning to peel-HE
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:06 am 

Here's a link for All Parts:

http://www.allparts.com/TK-7714-010-Chr ... _3914.html

Board index » Setup And Technical