Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: pros and cons of the 5th "mixer" pot
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 pm 

JeffH wrote:
I am a fairly recent Rick owner (2010 JG 330) and I find the 5th knob to be somewhat redundant - as mentioned, why not just adjust the neck vol. pot? Is there any validity to making the 5th knob a master volume? Is there a schematic anywhere for an MV?

I think it's been done but you can't use an MV properly with Ric-O-Sound (it will screw up the signal separation). I guess 330's don't have that feature anyway right? Just hook up the hot leads from the respective volumes to the master and wire its output to the jack.

If the 5th knob really bugged me (and I owned a Ric guitar) I'd just bypass the whole thing. It can be left in place on the pickguard so it looks stock if desired. That knob could also be changed to do other useful functions like a treble bleed, for example.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:19 pm 

fluffy wrote:
Pros: it looks cool and more "Authenticly Rickenbackerish"
It can create a wonderful palette of sound-scapes

Cons:It takes a while to dial in the "wonderful palette of sound-scapes"
if you accidentally move it from your favorite setting in the middle of a song, you're screwed :lol:

Tiny little Sharpie dots help.... :mrgreen:

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:23 pm 

Quote:
That knob could also be changed to do other useful functions like a treble bleed, for example.

I have installed treble bleed caps/resistors on the volume controls - it's very effective.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:04 am 

I got my first Rick around 1996 or so, a all black 340 from 91 with a humbucker in bridge-position. It took me a while to actually understand the fifth knob, and I usually use the bridge-pickup most all of the time, so I really didn´t have to figure it out either, cause the bridge pu sounded the same way anyway.

But nowadays I use a ebow from time to time, and live it´s pretty handy to just move the fift knob, or have it stock, fully clockwise. It makes the neck pu just perfect in volyme and tone for the ebow.

It could be made by set the volyme on the neck pu lower, but know I got the perfect volyme, and the same volyme every time. But that is the only way I use it... I kina think its pointless in a normal setup actually. But thats me... If I didn´t care som much about ruin my guitars value I would have mad some other mods long time ago. On all my guitars. (Fender Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Tele, Strat)

For me too many knob´s is just annoying and a little stressfull. I have to check them all the time to see that they all are on full - cause thats the setting my sound is build upon and I newer change them. I have pedals that make changes in sound, and the pickattack etc. (except from the ebow though, so that would be a problem...)
In fact, all that I need to get lucky is a simplyfied guitar with only a pickup-selector, no volyme, no tone, just straight to jack. Maybe put a resistor between to make the "right" tone. I´m a set and forget guy... :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:03 am 

I really like the 5th knob as a tone blender. If my 350 didn't have it, I'd feel the neck/middle settling would be a bit dull (though good for acoustic like rhythm). Now it's nice to have an option to brighten it up if I wish too. And it is funny that back in the 60's the automatic assumption was bridge = lead and neck = rhythm. I normally solo with the neck pickup (at least with my Fenders) to give me single coil clarity with some balls. With the Ric, having the 5th knob is very important to color my tone.

As for ROS, neither of my Rics has it so I'm not missing it. I don't use two amps like that, nor would anyone care.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:58 am 

I read somewhere that it can be used in another way: Use the centre setting on the selector switch. Put all knobs except the bass tone on full and then the bass tone all the way down. Try using the fifth knob to get a whole new sound spectrum. I use mine that way these days. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:21 am 

Sorry to resurrect an old & exhausted thread but I have searched for information regarding my question with zero results (this is the closest I've come)!

I would like to convert the mixer (5th.) knob on my 2013 620/12 to a Master Volume and am looking for a "cabling for dummies" type of wiring diagram! :lol:

I seem to remember reading that this was a popular and relatively simple procedure but now, finding any info on the mod is proving elusive.

I never use the "ROS" out, so any effect on that feature won't be an issue.

I am no guitar technician or electrician but I can confidently carry out simple adjustments (truss rod, intonation etc.) and am adept with a soldering iron so, can anyone help with an easy to understand wiring diagram & details please.

Thank you.........Brian

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:24 pm 

theonemanband wrote:
I would like to convert the mixer (5th) knob on my 2013 620/12 to a Master Volume and am looking for a "cabling for dummies" type of wiring diagram!

It is difficult to work a master volume control into a guitar that has Ric-O-Sound because each pickup's output goes to a different finger on the Ric-O-Sound jack; then the wiring jumps over to the mono jack which is specially designed with an additional finger to close the circuit summing the output of the two pickups.

It is more feasible to work a master volume control into a guitar that is mono, like a 330, where the master volume can be inserted between the hot lead coming off the combined outputs and the finger of the jack.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:32 am 

in my 1966 I eliminated all 5 knobs and the 3-way switch, no time to be messing with so many knobs!i made a new pickguard with 3 on-off switches and 1 master volume, 1 master tone. In fact, I don't even need the volume or tone controls! What are volume pedals for? Not to mention I never used the Rick-O-Sound.

Board index » Setup And Technical