Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 4003 - broken truss rod "plate" ?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:06 am 

Hi, all ...
I have an 1983 4003 bass and am having some work done on it. At the body end of the neck, the two truss rods are apparently held together with a rectangular plate. That plate is broken: split down the middle into two pieces. At first, the luthier doing the work said he'd repair or replace the plate. Later he said that he adjusted the rods, has the neck in fine shape, and now doesn't think it's necessary to repair that plate.

My question: is it OK to leave that plate in two pieces? Should it be welded together or replaced? If necessary, how can I get a replacement part?

Photo attached to illustrate the piece I'm talking about (not my broken piece).

Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments:
truss rod plate.jpg [42.96 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Re: 4003 - broken truss rod "plate" ?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:31 pm 

It is supposed to be that way. ;) Do some research and you will learn, so will this "luthier" of yours. :idea:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This has to be one of the 4003's with a split pick guard to allow adjustment at the body end. Anyway, the nut plate needs replacement.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:28 am 

Yes, it's a model with the split pick guard. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm getting info both ways -- "OK as is" and "needs to be replaced" ... can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tonym wrote:

I'm getting info both ways -- "OK as is" and "needs to be replaced" ... can't seem to get a definitive answer.

Well, you might consider the source of the information. Jeffrey Scott there knows a thing or two about our product- all things bass actually- and maybe I know something about RIC's too. I don't know about your other sources of info . . .

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 am 

tonym wrote:

Welcome to the forum. You're getting advice on your bass directly from the CEO and owner of Rickenbacker (and son of the former owner), who also happens to be a bassist. Great forum already, isn't it? Good luck.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:18 am 

Well, it appears I knocked on the right door. My "other sources" were other online Ric/bass forums I tapped into as part of my research ... clearly, not everyone out there is as well informed. Being new to this forum, I didn't realize who participates in the discussions ... very much appreciate that now. Thanks, all.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

The photo you posted is what the plate looks like for basses with the truss rod nuts at the headstock end of the neck (I assume that is not yours from your bass since it is not in two pieces ;) ). For a short time, during the era your bass was made (with the split pickguard), the rods had the nuts at the body end of the neck and the shared plate was made as two separate pieces, instead. I will look and see if I have any photos saved of this but, as you have this on your bass there is probably no need. Can you give us more info on what your repair tech did, to get the neck in good working order?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jeff, you might be right about a time when those parts were in two pieces. I have to say that my memory of these is really fading now and I don't have a sample to refer to. If you have an instrument or photo that shows this, it would be great.

In my defense, that version of the 4003 was introduced during the short period I was out of the company in 1980-1981 and when I did come back, I tried to forget about them!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:52 pm 

I''ll check, Joey might have a photo, possibly. I know I have seen at least one photo showing two independent blocks, something I found very interesting to see so it has stuck in my slowly fading mind!

I don't think there is anything to have to defend, these are little details, really, in the scheme of things. 8-)

Board index » Setup And Technical