Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Hi Gain vs toaster pickups
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:13 am 

The reissue toasters sound great! Mr. JH and crew reverse-engineered multiple vintage pickups to come up with the current formula that captures all the classic jangle and body of tone. It is fashionable to be a RIC-basher in some quarters, so I would take this supposed bad review with a grain of salt, and look "between the lines" to see what the reviewer plays otherwise, or if a hidden agenda can be surmised.

Yes, 8MilesHigher does describe the differences between toasters and high-gains.

Inductance. The key word is inductance. The alnico slugs in the toasters, having a percentage of iron in the alloy, are reactive to the coil as well as magnetic, and this has an effect in combination with the coil that results in a certain inductance, which also affects the frequency response and resonant peak of the pickup in the circuit.

The high gain magnet, being non-ferrous, is magnetic, but not reactive as the alnico is, so the high gain has a different amount of coil windings, and the interaction of the magnet with the coil has a different frequency response and resonant peak and a different inductance to the toasters.

And the HB-1's are even different from that with their singular construction with dual coils.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:53 pm 

I personally feel that the strings you use contribute greatly to the sound, especially on 12-string models. I used to use D'Addario strings on my 330/12, but when I switched to Rickenbacker 12's, the guitar sounded much more vintage to me. Even more than when I replaced the Hi-Gains with Toaster Top pickups.

Post subject: Hi Gain vs toaster pickups
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:50 am 

Nice. Is there anything I can do with the OD1 channel to get more gain out of it without changing the amp voicing?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:25 am 

I put a new toaster in my '75 4001 back in the mid '80's I recently had it apart and for the hell of it I checked the resistance and it read 11.9K. I was surprised it was that hot..I had the bridge p/u rewound with .43 ga. as orig. to the re issue V63 and that p/u now reads a whooping 19.3K. I dont have it together yet, but cant wait to hear what these pup's sound like

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:44 am 

jdean wrote:
I put a new toaster in my '75 4001 back in the mid '80's I recently had it apart and for the hell of it I checked the resistance and it read 11.9K. I was surprised it was that hot..I had the bridge p/u rewound with .43 ga. as orig. to the re issue V63 and that p/u now reads a whooping 19.3K. I dont have it together yet, but cant wait to hear what these pup's sound like

Um, hate to say this after the fact, but RIC uses 44AWG wire with their proprietary specified insulation on the coil wire.

Board index » Setup And Technical