Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: RE: Issue with a restoration of a 77 Ric 4001
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:09 pm 

Hi!
I've been lurking for a while, find plenty of tips and tricks here and have always found you guys generally pretty helpful, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out now.
We're working on a restoration of a 1978 Rickenbacker 4001 bass and have run into a problem. You know how, when you plug a standard cable into the mono jack, you can switch between pickups; bridge only, both, neck only? (we had a 4003 bass previously, that was how it worked.) I'm having trouble making this one work that way.

When we got it, the bridge pickup was dead. No reading on the multimeter. I bought a pickup from a 4003 bass from an ebay seller, we tested it before putting it in, it worked. But now with the bass together, the bridge pickup isn't working. The selector switch picks up the neck pup fine, but no sound from the bridge pickup.

Thinking it was a wiring problem, I bought another 1978 Ric wiring harness (switch, pots, dual jacks) from an eBay seller and put it in. Same thing--no sound from bridge pickup. I have looked at every photograph of every 4001 Ric bass I could find, and ours is wired up exactly the same way--yet when a standard cable is plugged into the mono jack, there is no sound from the bridge pickup, only the neck.
If you can tell me if I have anything wrong, or can tell me how to fix what's going on with this, I'd really appreciate it! I realize it would help if I could attach a picture but the forum says my picis too big and I have no idea how to resize it. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: RE: Issue with a restoration of a 77 Ric 4001
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 pm 

If you plug a standard cable into the stereo jack, and the pickup selector is on bridge pickup only or both pickups, you should hear the bridge pickup only. Your replacement pickup could be dead too.

There is an easy to read circuit diagram:
Go to the Service tab --> schematics --> guitar schematics

A picture would help to see if everything is wired correctly.
Resize by going to paint, go to drop down upper left, Open. Then find your picture. Then resize to 450 pixels wide or whatever it is. Go to drop down and Save As, and give it a new name.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:12 pm 

I was looking at the schematic, and at the mono jack there is a switch that closes when a cable is in. If it doesn't close there will be no signal from the bridge pickup. If this is the fault, bent the contacts so that they touch when the cable is in and don't touch when the cable is out.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:01 am 

Thanks Steve!

Okay, I got the picture resized, here's hoping it works.

Attachments:
4001Ricbass2.jpg [60.09 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Almost without doubt, it's the contact in the stereo output jack. It's bent such that it's not making contact when there is no plug in the stereo jack.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:41 am 

After all the stressing, worrying, and frustration, it ended up being the pickup selector switch. Two of the lugs were touching and shorting out--once I bent them back they worked fine, although I think at some point I'll probably want to replace the switch itself.
I'm gonna try to take some pictures of the new baby this weekend and post for some eye candy. Thanks for all your help, guys!

Board index » Setup And Technical