Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: I can't get no (G-side) relief.
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:48 am 

In pursuit of my preferred setup on my new 4003, I've had to adjust the truss rods a bit. Trouble is, my G-side truss rod is unresponsive.

I want to add a bit of clearance on that side, since the G-string is flat against all the frets, but no clearance results when I loosen the G-side rod. The E-string rod is very responsive, however, and allowed me to remove some excessive clearance by tightening a bit (no more than a quarter of a turn per day). It's almost as if the E-side rod is currently providing all of the neck tension, since there's noticeable resistance when adjusting its nut, while the resistance in the G-side nut is barely noticeable.

I don't expect both rods to necessarily have the same tension, of course, but I would expect each to be responsive, to some degree, in both the tightening (relief-removing) and loosening (relief-adding) directions. The bass plays OK, but I'd prefer to get the setup more to my liking. Does anyone have any advice?

Post subject: Re: I can't get no (G-side) relief.
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the treble rod is completely loose and you don't have the relief you want, loosen the strings a bit, put a block under the strings at the 12th fret and tighten them up so the neck over bows a bit. Leave it overnight and then you should then have no problem to tighten up the nut a bit to straighten the neck to the degree of relief you prefer.

The truss rods can only bow the neck in the overbow direction; tension has to take over in the other direction.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:56 am 

Even though it's the G-side rod I'm having trouble with, would the block go under all four strings for this procedure, or, say, just D and G?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd put it under all four strings but tighten the treble side more than the bass side. That'll put a slight twist in the neck which is what you actually want.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:58 am 

Understood. Before I do this, though, would it be worthwhile to back both nuts off all the way (gradually, of course) and then tighten them both back up symmetrically? This seems to make sense if indeed one rod is just snugged up tighter, rather than trying to induce a small permanent set in the wooden neck via the block procedure.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's probably not necessary but it won't hurt anything to do that.

In a neck made with a perfect piece of wood, the bass side nut is always going to be a bit more snug that the treble side. However, we all know wood is a bit of a wild card so you just have to adjust each one as it actually is.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:07 pm 

Got it. Thank you very much, Mr. Hall.

Board index » Setup And Technical