Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Best compressor for Rics
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:17 pm 

kvalois wrote:
Hi, all
I wonder if there is any update or news about which compressor sounds the best for that classic 1960s Beatles and Byrds sound? :D

YES!!! ONE ABSOLUTELY DEFINITIVE, THE STANDARD BY WHICH ALL OTHERS ARE MEASURED: An original Fairchild 660 (mono) or 670 (stereo). Of course, each of these, in restored condition, go for several thousand dollars. Everything else is a copy and a wanna-be.

Yes, I am being facetious. But I am being brutally honest as well. I learned how to play without compressors or other effects boxes. I made my fingers bleed trying to get tone and sustain out of my Sears and Roebuck guitar and amp before I got my 320, 360-12, and 4001 - later traded for a 4002.

Learn the technique first. When I played bass for a nationally televised TV show, because I learned and practiced proper technique, the sound engineer only had to use the slightest bit of compression on me, and he even said that was elective just to make sure the digital bandwidth was not exceeded by everyone combined.

When I recorded my 12-string tracks with my band (mumble) decades ago, I just miked up the amp and the assistant soundboard man laid it down. he was amazed that he didn't have to do anything, especially when we did them in one take. Yes - one take. The bass tracks were sometimes done together with the rest of the guys with each of us in an isolation booth, so sometimes we had to stop and make sure we were all together. But again, the 4002 went straight to board D.I.

Compressors don't make the tone. Your fingers do. That said, a touch of compression is nice here and there, again, just to make sure. Now, as far as using one on stage, I prefer the onboard digital compressor of the P.O.D. 2.0., because it is very clean.

Post subject: Best compressor for Rics
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:03 am 

Ive been using Monster for the past 6 years... no plans on changing. Just curious as to what you guys use for live/studio setups and why you choose them..?

Post subject: Re: Best compressor for Rics
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:05 am 

iiipopes wrote:
kvalois wrote:
Hi, all
I wonder if there is any update or news about which compressor sounds the best for that classic 1960s Beatles and Byrds sound? :D

YES!!! ONE ABSOLUTELY DEFINITIVE, THE STANDARD BY WHICH ALL OTHERS ARE MEASURED: An original Fairchild 660 (mono) or 670 (stereo). Of course, each of these, in restored condition, go for several thousand dollars. Everything else is a copy and a wanna-be.

The above comment notwithstanding, I never leave home without 'one of these'! :mrgreen:
Perfect for using with ROS. 8-)

Board index » Setup And Technical