Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Rickenbacker 4003 Action Way Too Low out of box
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:02 am 

I recently bought a brand new still in Rickenbacker factory box 4003 Mapleglo from an ebay seller. This is my third 4003 and every other one I've purchased has either been from a brick and mortar or a reputable online store. The others had near perfect setup out of the box. This one is an entirely different beast. I had to do 2 full turns to get the strings raised enough for it to be playable - and even then the action is still lower than my other two. I also noticed that the fretboard was much "streakier" than others I've seen and the fit of the neck to the pickguard isn't quite as tight as the others, although nearly indistinguishable. My question is, is it possible that I was sold a factory second? Does Rickenbacker ship those? I know it's not a counterfeit because the quality construction is undeniably Rickenbacker. I found out afterwards that the seller is NOT a authorized seller which just adds to my anxiety.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 4003 Action Way Too Low out of box
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:09 am 

Sounds more like a set-up issue than a serious QC issue on the part of Rickenbacker. Almost every new guitar is going to need some tweaking /set-up out of the box no matter it's state of playability when it left the factory (weather changes, time in transit, etc). ..and of course set-up is very subjective. Also, most decent brick and mortar stores will inspect and do general adjustments to new guitars when they come in....in fact most decent reputable online sellers inspect new instruments and do some tweaking before sending them out. As far as the "streakier" fretboard, the Carribean Rosewood / Chechen that Rick is now using tends to have quite a bit of grain and figuire to it plus any wood, even of the same species or even from the same tree can have significant differences in look and grain. With regards to "B" stock Rickenbackers that would be something that Mr. Hall could certainly answer better than anyone...but I'm pretty sure that Rickenbacker does not offically deal in any way, shape, or form "B" stock instruments.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 4003 Action Way Too Low out of box
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:31 am 

There is no such thing as a "B" stock or "factory second." And most people prefer the more figured grain.

Board index » Setup And Technical