Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: "R" tailpiece blew off
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:06 am 

I still have the original "R" tailpiece in my 1966 370-12, and I had never heard of the tailpiece breaking, and it sure has never happened to my guitar, with all its tailpiece scratches and wear. (chrome does wear you know).

my only complaint is that Rickenbacker has never made a Left Handed "R" tailpiece for Left Handed Rickenbacker guitars, that's why I never bought a lefty Rickenbacker. :D (sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread with a different complaint).

the photo below is from 1976, one night in a cruise ship, with the upside down 370-12 and 6-strings only, and my Mellotron...

Attachments:
Zurdo.jpg [41.23 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, for your lefty, should we make it a large "L" then?

Unfortunately, the R does not lend itself well to being turned over, nevermind the $40,000 charge for a new mold for a few hundred guitars each year. The trapeze works pretty well anyway.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:08 am 

yes, I understand the issues involved with a left-handed R tailpiece.

Hopefully in the future Rickenbacker will reissue the 1957-1960 Capri body style, not the John Lennon or George Harrison models, but the high-waist and thicker body of the Capri.

Attachments:
Rickenbacker-365-Capri.jpg [52.2 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:04 am 

I'm not left handed but I know a few that are and use Rickenbacker's. One of them changed the R Tailpiece for the Trapeze on his 330 and never has any issues. Just want to know if it would it be cost effective to produce left handed Ric's with the trapeze instead of the R tailpiece?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 am 

flyingeagle: I'm still looking for a picture of the "trapeze" tailpiece, every left-handed Rickenbacker I have seen always has an upside down "R" tailpiece.

if you have a link to the trapeze, please post it.

Attachments:
lefty-Rickenbacker-330.jpg [52.04 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
left-handed-Rickenbacker-330.jpg [96.32 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:19 am 

I believe that the Trapeze is the same for both right and left handed guitars. I think that the trapeze can simply be flipped on the 2 hooks for left handed use. Please correct me if I am incorrect.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:07 am 

You are correct, eagle.
The Trapeze is reversible, and can be seen in the Boutique section under "Tailpieces".

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:36 pm 

magicfingers wrote:
You are correct, eagle.
The Trapeze is reversible, and can be seen in the Boutique section under "Tailpieces".

thanks, now I know what the "trapeze" tailpiece is, Pete Townshend's guitar had one of those, I just didn't know it was called "trapeze".

it also looks like it would be easier to change strings on the trapeze, the R tailpiece is not very easy, ask me how I know. :D

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:46 am 

First of all, sorry to hear of your dilemma, I hope you get it sorted.

I can thoroughly recommend the trapeze tailpiece. I replaced the original "R" on my 620/12 soon after I bought it.
Replacing broken strings in situ on a gig was an absolute ordeal; much easier with the trapeze, as is a total string change!

I have also tried Polyhedron flat wounds and absolutely HATED them, both the tension thing and the sound; went back to Rick 10-46 round wounds and have had no issues since and the sound is "proper Rick" ............ fantastic!!

Just my experience......hope that helps.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:50 pm 

kvalois wrote:
Thank you. Mr. Hall for your response!!!

I assure you that I did not know that using Pyramids would add "a few dozens of pounds of extra tension beyond ultimate design spec!!!" In fact, for many years now, some members have commented that they used Pyramids-- without any problems. And, yes, it is also true that others have warned against using them.

I read in some interview that Roger uses them, but throws them away after each performance. At over $40 a set, that is too much for me!! At any rate, I decided after all these years to try them. But, never again!!

When I called Rickenbacker today, the customer rep was extremely friendly and helpful. Among the pieces of advice that he gave is that I should use 10-46 gauge of "round wound" strings. That's what I had been using for years-- and will start using again.

Thanks for the explanation regarding "pot metal." I am certain that you are correct. My luthier and others on this forum just questioned how strong it was. I will tell my luthier of the upgraded process that Rickenbacker has been using in recent years.

May I also add that I am NOT blaming Rickenbacker in any way for the bridge and tailpiece exploding off. Clearly, I never should have used Pyramids. Perhaps, if Rickenbacker is allowed to, warnings should go out NOT to use certain types of strings.

Switch to a trapeze tailpiece, and the problem should be solved.

Board index » Setup And Technical