Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 330 dark sounding.
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:15 am 

Hi,i've recently purchased a used 2002 330 fireglo,but i find the pick ups too dark not enough jangly,I checked the wiring and everyting is in working order and in original factory condition.I' ve tried the vintage wiring mod with .0047 cap on neck pick up but still i can't hear the classic chime 330's are famous for.
Are there other mods to do (apart vintage wiring one)? or maybe replace the stock pick ups with current adjustable poles high gains would be useful?

Thanks a lot.

Post subject: Re: 330 dark sounding.
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:12 pm 

I think the first question anyone would ask is what strings you have installed.

2015 4003 Fireglo
1983 4003 Walnut

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:34 pm 

Ernie ball 010.But i don't think it's a question of strings.
Thanks for reply.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:58 pm 

Try using a compressor.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:41 am 

I have a '99 330 with the same type of hi-gains. That's not your problem - plenty of jangle in that version of hi-gains. Something is wrong.

Do all the pots seem to function normally? Does it get "darker" when you turn tone and volume down? When you say the wiring is "in working order and in original factory condition", does that mean it looks completely untouched or just that it currently looks correct?

Does it sound "dark" in all pickup settings?

What amplifier(s) do you use?

Have you tried different cables and tried different guitars with your amp, or the guitar with different amps? Not to be insulting, as those are pretty obvious things, but if you only happen to have one guitar, one cable, and one amp, its hard to tell where the problem is and you didn't provide any of that information....

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:15 am 

Ric5150 wrote:
I have a '99 330 with the same type of hi-gains. That's not your problem - plenty of jangle in that version of hi-gains. Something is wrong.

Do all the pots seem to function normally? Does it get "darker" when you turn tone and volume down? When you say the wiring is "in working order and in original factory condition", does that mean it looks completely untouched or just that it currently looks correct?

Does it sound "dark" in all pickup settings?

What amplifier(s) do you use?

Have you tried different cables and tried different guitars with your amp, or the guitar with different amps? Not to be insulting, as those are pretty obvious things, but if you only happen to have one guitar, one cable, and one amp, its hard to tell where the problem is and you didn't provide any of that information....

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:20 am 

Thanks a lot for reply Ric5150,i've tried many cables,the pots works properly and the wiring is untouched.i play it always at full guitar volume through a vox ac 30 with alnico blue speakers(as you may know,very bright amp) that doesn't give any problems with other guitars. i'm familiar with muddy sounding casused by pots,wiring ,cables,strings etc problems,and to me this is not the case.The guitar sounds simply this way.i've had a 360/ made in 2004 (pick ups should be the same or at least very close to the ones mounted on 330) and it sounded more open ,sparkly and jangly.Anyway i'd like to do some mod to increase the jangle or maybe change the pick ups with adjustable pole ones (i've read they are more sparkly) To me there's something wrong on mines expecially on the neck one.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:36 am 

If you're running a Rick into an AC30, you should be able to find settings which are painfully bright, so you definitely have a problem.

If you're having problems with both pickups, I'd tend to think you're problem is in the harness. Seems odd that both pickups would have problems, unless maybe something somehow messed up the magnets in both.

The harness would certainly be cheaper to replace than pickups. Hard to say for sure, though.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:19 am 

Obviously i cannot exclude anything,but to me it 's more like a matter of tonal carachteristic than a real problem.maybe the post title and description made it sounds like a technical problem,but to me some pick ups (ric high gains included) are simply brighter than others.I've also tried to swap the stock pick ups and install a pair 7.4 toasters (obviously brighter than high gains,i know) i have on my 360/12 and i had no frequencies problems as on the high gains.They sounded as they should.So i reserve my doubts on harness.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:59 pm 

If you've tried different pickups and all was well, then you would seem to have a couple of problematic pickups. Odd. The new adjustable ones aren't a whole lot different than the prior version, but I think they sound a little better in general. Looks like that's your best path forward.

Board index » Setup And Technical