Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 340/345/RM1998 neck p/u tone knob query
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:38 pm 

I'm currently preparing my Jan 1964 RM1998 for sale, and have been checking that the electrics are all in order, including the five volume/tone/blender knobs. Both bridge and neck volume knobs work fine, as does the little blender knob. The bridge tone knob works well, varying the sound greatly when I select the bridge pick up only. But when I change the selector to the 'neck' position (that is, ignoring the middle position), the neck tone knob seems to make far less difference to the sound than I was expecting. I can just about convince myself that it is varying the tone slightly, but it has nowhere near the effect of the bridge knob.

I must admit that over the years I have almost exclusively used the jangly bridge sound and have hardly needed to touch the neck tone knob. I don't want to claim that the electrics are fine if they aren't, yet everything else seems to be working perfectly and all of the wiring is intact. So I just wondered if any other vintage 340 series owners might be able to confirm whether or not their neck tone control knob is as responsive as the bridge?

Many thanks

Martin

Board index » Setup And Technical