Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Mid pickup substitution
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:49 am 

Hi there, anyone know if my mid pickup hi gain must be replaced with a neck o a bridge pickup (or other)? Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Mid pickup substitution
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:18 pm 

The new ones are all the same. My early '80's high gains were originally wound differently for the different positions.

If yours are different, and you have the late 70's/early 80's overwound neck pickup, I would use a neck version as the stock wiring has both pickups together in the up position of the selector switch, to keep the resulting parallel impedance from dropping too low.

Others like the hollow tone and use the bridge version, if they have the late 70's/early 80's underwound bridge pickup.

It's all personal preference for tone. There is no "right" or "wrong."

Post subject: Re: Mid pickup substitution
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:52 pm 

iiipopes wrote:
The new ones are all the same. My early '80's high gains were originally wound differently for the different positions.

If yours are different, and you have the late 70's/early 80's overwound neck pickup, I would use a neck version as the stock wiring has both pickups together in the up position of the selector switch, to keep the resulting parallel impedance from dropping too low.

Others like the hollow tone and use the bridge version, if they have the late 70's/early 80's underwound bridge pickup.

It's all personal preference for tone. There is no "right" or "wrong."

Hi-gains have slightly different pole piece spacing between the neck (00020) and bridge (00022) part numbers. If you look closely, you'll see that the pole pieces on the bridge pickup are spaced slightly wider and that the outermost ones are therefore noticeably closer to the edges of the pickup.

The middle is generally the same as the neck - but I don't know that that's always been the case. Now that you know what to look for, you should be able to tell which of the other two pickups your middle one matches.

Board index » Setup And Technical