Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Rickenbacker 5th Knob Discussion
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:17 am 

Hello, everyone. I've had the privilege of recently purchasing a 325c64, and I'm completely enamored with it. After reading this forum for some time, I've seen many posts about mods for the 5th blend knob, or even going so far as to remove it. I've found that I really like this little knob, and use it quite often, depending on the pickup selector switch. Am I in the minority as far as how I feel about the blend knob? I'm curious as to what others think are the pros and cons of this unique little tone control. All responses and opinions are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 5th Knob Discussion
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:48 am 

dwilco268 wrote:
...I'm curious as to what others think are the pros and cons of this unique little tone control. All responses and opinions are appreciated.

t's not a tone control. It is a second volume control in series with the volume control for the neck pickup (in your case, the neck and middle pickups as they are wired together), but the third lug on the pot that would normally be grounded is not connected. This makes the 5th control into a sort of attenuator as it does not totally cut off the signal, and it is wired in reverse to how a volume control would normally be wired up so that rotating it CW reduces the signal of the neck/middle pickups.

Using the volume control for the neck/middle pickups will gain you the same net effect as either control (Bass Volume - 5th Knob) is adjusting the volume level of those pickups in relation to the bridge pickup.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 5th Knob Discussion
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:04 am 

jps wrote:
dwilco268 wrote:
...I'm curious as to what others think are the pros and cons of this unique little tone control. All responses and opinions are appreciated.

t's not a tone control. It is a second volume control in series with the volume control for the neck pickup (in your case, the neck and middle pickups as they are wired together), but the third lug on the pot that would normally be grounded is not connected. This makes the 5th control into a sort of attenuator as it does not totally cut off the signal, and it is wired in reverse to how a volume control would normally be wired up so that rotating it CW reduces the signal of the neck/middle pickups.

Using the volume control for the neck/middle pickups will gain you the same net effect as either control (Bass Volume - 5th Knob) is adjusting the volume level of those pickups in relation to the bridge pickup.

Wow. That's a greatly detailed explanation of it...appreciated. It just seemed to be rolling highs and lows off and on, so I'll be paying more attention to it. Now for the million-dollar question...do you like it, or do you find it redundant?

Board index » Setup And Technical