Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Ric Bass: "we won't repair it" says Japanese importer.
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:40 pm 

I impulsed-bought a used Ric 400x bass, I assume 90s or 00s, a couple years ago. Didn't play it much at all. I picked it up a month ago and heard a rattling from behind the truss rod cover (TRC). I unscrewed it and saw top end of the truss rod had broken off and there was a normal hardware-store-looking nut in there as well whose hole was big enough for the rod. It looked like the nut had been added by a previous owner as a shim or something when the rod couldn't be accurately adjusted on its own. Though if it was stock I guess also not surprised. When I bought it the action was quite good--better than the new Ric basses in the same shop.

I took it to the chain I bought it at (Tokyo's Ishibashi chain, normally an excellent chain that I've pumped probably $20k through without complaint over the years). They came back after a month saying they had sent it on to Yamano Gakki, the huge music instrument importer that handles Ric in Japan. I couldn't quite make out the story 100% due to the explanation being 1) Japanese 2) shouted at me over the usual music store din. But it sounded like:

Yamano will fix recent models that have the serial number (near the jack, I think he was saying) but mine was from a previous era with no serial number (?!??) and that Yamano simply declined to fix it. It wasn't even a question of not having parts or that it'd be unrepairable, or that the lack of serial number made them think it was stolen (the salesman I talked to sounded like he was saying that was simply the practice during a previous era) but that they just as a policy didn't do repairs on this era of instrument.

I've owned probably 40 instruments since 1985, 30 of them guitar/bass. I've never heard a response like this.

Ishibashi is offering $300 on it for whatever reason. Parts maybe? (I don't know if they were going to try fixing it themselves, and if so why they wouldn't fix it for me.)

Any advice?

(I know this would get far better response if I had photos, but I don't. The instrument's still at the shop which is quite inconvenient for me to get back to, and I don't want to have to go there twice, once to pick it up and photograph, and second time to sell if that's your guys' recommendation.)

Post subject: Re: Ric Bass: "we won't repair it" says Japanese importer.
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:26 am 

SwissFrank wrote:
I impulsed-bought a used Ric 400x bass, I assume 90s or 00s, a couple years ago. Didn't play it much at all. I picked it up a month ago and heard a rattling from behind the truss rod cover (TRC). I unscrewed it and saw top end of the truss rod had broken off and there was a normal hardware-store-looking nut in there as well whose hole was big enough for the rod. It looked like the nut had been added by a previous owner as a shim or something when the rod couldn't be accurately adjusted on its own. Though if it was stock I guess also not surprised. When I bought it the action was quite good--better than the new Ric basses in the same shop.

I took it to the chain I bought it at (Tokyo's Ishibashi chain, normally an excellent chain that I've pumped probably $20k through without complaint over the years). They came back after a month saying they had sent it on to Yamano Gakki, the huge music instrument importer that handles Ric in Japan. I couldn't quite make out the story 100% due to the explanation being 1) Japanese 2) shouted at me over the usual music store din. But it sounded like:

Yamano will fix recent models that have the serial number (near the jack, I think he was saying) but mine was from a previous era with no serial number (?!??) and that Yamano simply declined to fix it. It wasn't even a question of not having parts or that it'd be unrepairable, or that the lack of serial number made them think it was stolen (the salesman I talked to sounded like he was saying that was simply the practice during a previous era) but that they just as a policy didn't do repairs on this era of instrument.

I've owned probably 40 instruments since 1985, 30 of them guitar/bass. I've never heard a response like this.

Ishibashi is offering $300 on it for whatever reason. Parts maybe? (I don't know if they were going to try fixing it themselves, and if so why they wouldn't fix it for me.)

Any advice?

(I know this would get far better response if I had photos, but I don't. The instrument's still at the shop which is quite inconvenient for me to get back to, and I don't want to have to go there twice, once to pick it up and photograph, and second time to sell if that's your guys' recommendation.)
Is the instrument in question a real Rickenbacker bass? Not likely, given your description.

Post subject: Re: Ric Bass: "we won't repair it" says Japanese importer.
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:30 am 

I read on another forum that this bass does, indeed, have two truss rods, so it is most likely a real Rick. What about the jack plate? Why is there no S/N on it?

Board index » Setup And Technical