Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Nut on my 620
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:22 pm 

Hello all.
About a year ago I bought a Fireglow 620 (a 2003)on eBay. This is my first RIC. I know you shouldnt buy a guitar this way but there is only one chain of Music stores in my area that sells Rics, and they didnt have any at the time.
Over all I am very pleased with it but I have a minor problem. I play lead guitar so occassionaly I will want to do pull offs on my high e string from the third to first to open string. When I do this, the string has an annoying tendency to pull off the neck- actually slide down the beveled edge of the fret towards the neck binding and buzz. I complained about this to my brother (who is an awesome guitar player). He noticed this as well when played it. After examining the guitar we noticed that the spacing of the nut between the first and second string (e and b)is slighty wider than the spacing of the slots for the other strings. If I order a new nut from the Ric factory will I have to take it to a guitar techie to make the slots and "mill" it to the right size, can I fix it without replacing the nut.
Other than that the guitar is awesome!
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Nut on my 620
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:03 pm 

sounds like to me they may of had a set of bigger gauge on it?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:55 am 

No, It came with Ric 10's, but I prefer D'Addario 9's, not that much difference. I just measured the spacings. They are very close but slightly different some strings. The spacing between the Low E and A is 6.5mm on center, A to D is 7mm on center, D to G is 6.5mm on center, G to B is 6.5 mm on center and B to E is 7 mm on center. The effect I am talking about can be avoided by playing more gingerly but it is a little annoying. I think I have found a "fix". There is a slight half mm reveal on the low side (left hand side facing the front). I think all I need to do is break the nut away and slide it over to take up the reveal whech would move the offending string over enough to stop this problem. The only problem now is that the nut is glued on extremely well. I quess I will have wait until I get a fret dressing done in the near future.
cheers

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:45 am 

Howdy,

Enjoy that 620! This is a somewhat over-looked model and I appreciate them.

Eggman

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:06 am 

I agree!! Except for this minor problem it is an awesome guitar. Not very expensive compared to its peers as well, $1000 will not go very far for a 3 year old guitar for a Gibson or Fender...very undervalued!

Board index » Setup And Technical