Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: How hot are 330 hi gain pickups?
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:12 pm 

Greetings!
I just picked up a new 330. Is it my imagination or are the pickups so overwound that they naturally overdrive my amp? I plugged into a bf deluxe reverb and I couldn’t believe how loud and dirty the pu’s were. This is my 2nd 330 and my 3rd non vintage Rick and these pu’s sound nothing like the other two. I bought a 360 3 years ago and those pu’s sound great. I got my new 330 in Wednesday and by Saturday I brought it to my tech to install a pair of hi gains from 1991. Does anyone know the typical output of hi gains these days? Also is there a difference between the high gains in 360s and 330s?

Post subject: Re: How hot are 330 hi gain pickups?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:42 am 

Hi-gains are exactly that: high gain. If you want a little less gain, lower the pickup. If you want a little less attack, lower the polepieces. Hi-gains can be just as clean and just as smooth as any other pickup if adjusted correctly.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:32 am 

which tool do you use to raise and lower the poles? they didn't move easily with either of the allen wrenches that came with the guitar, so I didn't want to force the issue. I don't see how you can raise or lower the entire pickup on a 330. its held in place with that gasket.
thanx

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:51 am 

The allen wrench will move the pole pieces. Go slow and steady. The middle screw on each end of the pickup will lower the pickup when turned clockwise, as it screws directly into the top of the guitar. Here is the link to the pdf of the owners manual, right here on the RIC website. Page 5 of the pdf sets forth the procedure for raising or lowering the pickups and the polepieces:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/manual.pdf

Board index » Setup And Technical