Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Best pots for over wound pick ups
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:23 pm 

Back in the '80's I picked up a gutted '75 4001 with a small box of parts including the jack plate, hence knowing the year. I stripped and clear coated the beautiful birds eye maple body and neck. I replaced every part w/new ones for a re-issue V63 from Rickenbacker,(even though it had shark tooth markers) this came with the V63 wiring harness ,split horseshoe and toaster pick ups. .When finished it played as well as it looked. Fast forward 30+ years, the horseshoe crapped out on me and I had to get it re-wound Using orig.size 43ga.wire. while the pick up was out I checked the toasters resistance,and came up with with a sizable 11.9k, this was a surprize to me. much hotter than I realized. When I got the horseshoe back it measured 15.4k with original size wire. WOW !.All pots that came with the harness had part#07341 that I cant find any info on.I believe their 500k along with .047 caps. So now I have a set of hot as hell pickups. somehow the small fiber board on the rear volume pot broke off. so I ordered a short solid shaft 500k pot being a little unclear as to what it actually is.OK, 30+ years and its apart for the first time...Any thoughts as to changing things up a bit considering the over wound p/u's ?. I probably should stay with the 500k volumes but would I get any benefit from changing the tone pots ?-caps ?. any cool things I could do with dp/dt or blender pots to get a little more range out of it. ricmic posted a similar thread and Blueangel posted some very knowledgeable replies but I dont think he was talking about very hot bass pick ups :roll:

Post subject: Re: Best pots for over wound pick ups
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:38 pm 

First, RIC uses 44AWG wire with proprietary insulation, not 43AWG. 500 kohm pots are good. Here is the factory wiring diagram on new 4003's so you can install a push-pull to have the .0047 in-line capacitor to the bridge pickup in or out at will:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19557.pdf

Board index » Setup And Technical