Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: What I want Rickenbacker to invent
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:25 pm 

This is just an idea of mine:
I wish Rickenbacker would produce some kind of tremolo that gives you the chance to keep the “R” tailpiece. Unfortunatly, the “accent vibrato” won´t allow you to do so. Is there any sollution by another product already known? Has someone experince by using something else? I won´t drill some holes or change the bridge of my 330. The next problem is that the guitar won´t fit to the case, i think.

Post subject: Re: What I want Rickenbacker to invent
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually I did build an Accent style unit once using an -R-tailpiece but it was ungainly to build. I took it to Rene Schaller in Germany one year to ask if he could build it for me (their experience with vibratos was considerable, having produced most of the Floyd Rose units) but he talked me out of it!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:16 pm 

Haha that's classic, he talked you out of it? Too bad, though, those would look cool as all heck!

That must be pretty neat to have the tools/know-how to build guitars and stuff. I'm sort of an amateur guitar tech wannabe, I like taking instruments apart (not my RIC!) and set them up, see how they're built, etc. I've been swearing for years someday I'm gonna try to build a guitar but my wife just rolls her eyes and smiles and says "yes, dear". :-)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:01 am 

Well, there's a bit of metal between the strap button and the moving unit, why not emboss the "R"?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:14 am 

That could look pretty dang cool.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:09 am 

Maybe embossing it would weaken the metal. One could rivet an "R" on there, too.

I see aftermarket bucks to be made!

John, do you still have the R vibrato piece you built?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:29 pm 

Quote:
... but he talked me out of it!

Because of functional or optical reasons?
Doesn´t sound that we will see something like this one day.
What a pitty...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:53 am 

Interesting; I've been thinking about this topic ever since I read an entry from one of the bunch that he wanted an Accent whammy on his Ric but didn't want to part with the "R" tailpiece.
I think if the metal were perhaps slightly thicker, or maybe even with its present thickness, that the "R" could be cut out of the piecece that the strap button holds down.

Another alternative would be to have a special "R" cast Bigsby whammy bar. I think Bigsby could cast the piece in such a way that it would look like the "R" and still be strong enough to hold the rest without cracking or breaking.

On an aside, two years ago I had the unfortunate experience of having the "R" tailpiece on my 381 v69 12 break! I was using the guitar at rehearsal after not playing it for a few days and was perplexed that the guitar pitch kept going flat. I concluded that I was strumming a bit too energetically, or that my strings were too old and needed replacing, so I put the guitar away. When I opened the guitar case a couple of days later, I was greeted by all 12 strings splaying out of the case, and the broken tailpice flopping around loose in the case. The "R" tailpiece had broken off at its base where it hooks into the piece that screws onto the body. When I saw what had happened I realized why my guitar had kept going out of tune at my previous rehearsal; the cracked metal end of the tailpiece kept giving/pulling away a little bit each time I increased the string tension by tuning the guitar to pitch. I was able to obtain a new tailpiece with relative, ease, though I ws somewhat disappointed that I couldn't just go to the factory and buy one, as it was a mere mile away from where I was working, but I understand, what can one do-it's a factory, not a retail store!

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:50 pm 

Okay, this has nothing to do with the specifics you guys are talking about, but it is on topic as to "What I want Rickenbacker to invent".

I know this won't happen, but I think if you took a JetGlow 4003, and put the blackest ebony fingerboard you could find on it, while keeping the triangle inlays, you'd have one of the most gorgeous basses ever. I know I'd buy it...

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'd also have an instrument that in the very near future would be banned in international trade. Ebony will surely be the next wood added to the CITES treaty and would have been already if the starving wood-carving artisans in Africa had an alternative wood available.

A Blackstar like painted board gives the look without the ecological damage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical