Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Compressor / Sustainer
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:44 am 

Howdy All,

Just looking for the ultimate compressor / sustainer for the Byrds / Beatles sound on the 660/12. All that I've tried tend to be way too noisy.

Post subject: Re: Compressor / Sustainer
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:25 am 

I think you'll hear a chorus of resounding one word responses to your question - Jinglebells. Haven't tried one myself but this seems to the hands down consensus.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:08 am 

Do I have Christmas on the mind in April? I thought I typed Jinglebells, not Jinglebells!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:09 am 

Wow this is frustrating, there must be an automatic spellchecker that's replacing my word:

J-I-N-G-L-E-B-E-L-L-S!!!!!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:47 am 

ha...i went through the same thing :) ...no you typed right, but there's either too much advertising and/or
negativity towards the product. Same as with those "egyption" strings :)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:23 am 

Quote:
Wow this is frustrating, there must be an automatic spellchecker that's replacing my word:

J-I-N-G-L-E-B-E-L-L-S!!!!!

Just curious What is the difference between this compressor and others? Is it noiseless (or as close to noiseless as possible? Also wondering why the word is being replaced. Is there a copyright problem with this product?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:34 am 

Quote:
Just curious What is the difference between this compressor and others? Is it noiseless (or as close to noiseless as possible? Also wondering why the word is being replaced. Is there a copyright problem with this product?

This compressor attempts to mimic the compressor used by the Byrds
aka "Turn, Turn, Turn" and the like and does a very good job IMHO.
Go to their website if you want details. I dont have a RM model so
i dont know how similar the effect is, but i'm sure it's very similar.

...it's been mentioned in a few msgs already that these forums are
not to promote products and this compressor has been mentioned alot
...possibly too much for Ric's liking.

Copyright...ya this also could be...Mr Hall has mentioned in this
thread about litigation againt somebody:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view_ ... it%20Board?

...i've posted that i think it would be difficult to litigate (no, i'm not a lawyer :P). You can't
copyright...hmmmmm? ...not sure of the correct words but technique or principle ...you can't copyright
an idea (ie. the recent thrown out Divinci Code suit) ...what is copyrighted is the circuit
diagram...ie. if i took that diagram and posted it on website without Ric's permission, the
$lawyer$ would be a knocking...

...take a look at Ric's compressor schematic here:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19515.pdf

...after a bit of googling, take a look at this one used by DynaComp and a variation used by Ross:

http://www.geofex.com/PCB_layouts/Layouts/d&rpub.pdf

...even an electronic hobbyist can tell you all these circuits are almost identical.
The clamping diodes, the biasing being fed back to the op-amp (or any active component used)
These are all common "techniques" in compressor units ...you can easily find other schematics
that appear different, but a closer look would reveal they also use the same ideas/techniques. ...the only
real difference in Ric's schematics and the DynaComp or Ross, is the passive high-pass filter
(R12, C8, R16, R17), which is also a simple common technique. But here, no one is infringing on each
other because it's not exact ...ie. even though the circuits are similar, different component values are
used / slight variations in the circuits ...so it could be said each designer did their own work on their
schematic even though they all use those same principles. Fundamentally, all TVs use the same idea/design,
car engines, radios, etc. ...but there's more than RCAs, Fords and Marconis out there :)

Don't get me wrong, i certainly agree with protecting your rights, just as i hope Rickenbacker
can stop the pirating of their beautiful designs. I just hope Ric's lawyers are either family
members and/or close trusting friends that do their homework and say that there is indeed an
infringment than a firm saying "sure, we'll look after that for ya, now, that'll be a $$$$$ retainer
fee please"

P.S. ..sorry i rambled on...i'm a software developer but used to be a hardware designer and still have a passion for it
...and i'm not a fan of lawyers, they're a necessary evil as the saying goes :P

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:09 am 

> ...is the passive high-pass filter (R12, C8, R16, R17)...
yikes, was thinking signal only without doing any calcs...may only be to block DC / attenuate output
...and it is also in the DynaComp and Ross schems

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:57 am 

I have a 660/12, love the sound. Plugged it into one of those there thingys that they're trying to mention - BAM - there was the sound you're looking for.

I understand it can be achieved with one of those red kidney shaped thingys, too. I have one, haven't had the need to use it other than a tuner.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:18 am 

I have both as well and the kidney thing combined with Jinglebuns give you enough compression to make you squint! Jinglebuns is the simplest and I get less buzz problems than I do trying to tweak the kidney machine, but the kidney is great for just about everything. Nice little addition to the overall sound arsenal.

Best,

MMM

Board index » Setup And Technical