Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: sticky neck
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:58 pm 

ive noticed on both my rics and my room mates ric that the necks seem to get sticky quick from body sweat and oil build up. anybody have a suggestion other than wiping the crud off every now and then? a wax of some sort?

Post subject: Re: sticky neck
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:44 am 

Howdy,

I've never had that problem since my hands are dry, but others that I know simply apply plain old Johnson's baby powder to their hands first. I do not know if this has any long term problems or not.

Steve

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:21 am 

Lemon oil has been suggested. I've used a light application both on the back of the neck & the strings after playing.
Use a cloth or paper towel with a dab of oil & lightly wipe any excess off after the application.
It won't harm the finish & seems to help for the lenghth of most gigs.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:27 am 

Jingle-Jangle, one of the forum's resident techs, suggested using Dr. Stringfellow, a guitar polish. So I got some last week and tried it. It works well and helps both the wood and the strings. It does a real nice job of keeping the neck from getting sticky. Highly recommended.

MMM

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:39 am 

The Dr. Stringfellow I recommend isn't their polish, but a product called "Lem-Oil", which is a citrus oil fretboard conditioner. Yes, I know that most Rick fretboards are finished. However, the citrus oil/naphtha blend that is Lem-Oil does a great job of keeping crud off strings and from building up around frets, and also keeps the backs of necks nice and fast.

Spray some onto a soft cotton cloth and wipe vigorously in the direction of the strings (the long way). It penetrates the wound strings and coats the strings themselves. Let sit awhile and wipe excess away with another dry cloth. Wondrous stuff IMO. I always keep a bottle both on my workbench and in the case compartment of one of my gigging guitars.

I guess if the good Dr.'s polish works well on the backs of necks, then OK, too, but I've got my own favorite polish for guitars, and that's Zymol.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:51 am 

To give your Rick a good cleaning, follow Jingle_jangle's cleaning process ("The Paul Treatment" )to make your guitar look brand new again, and the neck nice and quick. Read this thread from the first post through, too many pearls to repeat again:

http://www.rickresource.com/discus/mess ... 1146189882

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:26 am 

I didn't mean to put words in Jingle-Jangle's mouth. My apologies.

I use the Dr. Stringfellow guitar and wood polish as the Lem Oil stuff has to be shipped by slow boat overseas where I live, due to the contents. I believe it has be be shipped ground, not air, in the mainland. So I opted for the polish and it does help. I suspect the Lem Oil is much better if Jingle-Jangle endorses it so strongly. I have not tried that specific product.

But I do have some shiny RICs here now due to using the polish.

Best,

MMM

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:37 am 

I bought some Dr. Stringfellow, based on suggestions from this forum, and am very pleased with it so far. I could not remember which formula to get, so I chose the "string cleaner and lubricant". It slicks up both the fretboard and back of the neck real well. Jay

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:57 am 

thanks for the suggestions. i'll try out the lemon oil first since i think i have some around. if it doesnt work i'll go see dr stringfellow.
thanks

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:21 pm 

I got a 360 Jetglow and I have the same problem. Even though , my hands are rather dry, they stick on the neck . I have to say that I can't play any Gibson guitars and some Fenders using nitrocellulosic finish. Is that a matter of chemical reaction ? Here in France, some dealers suggested to use an extra fine Ironwool to get a smoother mat finish ... I worry about that.
A clever comment would be highly appreciated. I love so much that guitar and I feel bad and disapointed to be not able to use as much as I would like
Thanks

Board index » Setup And Technical