Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Sour G string on 360/6
 Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:10 pm 

I have an 05 360/6. The G string sounds sour even though my tuner says it is in tune in the open position and at the 12th fret. It registers sharp at the 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what can be done?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Sour G string on 360/6
 Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:22 am 

Quote:
I have an 05 360/6. The G string sounds sour even though my tuner says it is in tune in the open position and at the 12th fret. It registers sharp at the 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what can be done?

Thanks,

One thought - is the nut slot on the G string high up and not cut as deep as the others?

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:35 am 

problems with your G string? sounds like a personal problem...

sorry, i couldnt resist

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:39 am 

What make and gauge are you using? Stratocasters suffer from an out of tune 3rd string if they are too thin.I can't remember the formula and shall have to look it up but there is something about the torsion of a string as opposed to its tension which does this.On the strat the problem is resolved by using a wound string.

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 am 

Thanks,

It looks like the string is O.K. at the nut and I still have the original factory strings on it. They at 10s

Thanks Dmac

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bet your neck isn't dead straight . . .

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:02 pm 

Just try a new string before you do anything drastic to the guitar. A plain string can wear out very quickly. You might get it in tune on a tuner but when you hear it, it might not sound a consistent pitch and sound sour when you try to play a single note. That's when I know when it's time to change strings, when I try to play a single note on the top three strings past the 12th fret and it sounds sour and won't hold a smooth consistent pitch. Check this this out and you will learn if a string is really worn out.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:38 pm 

I have experienced this problem with a number of guitars over the years, usually with the G or B strings.

The pitch of a vibrating string is a function of the length, mass, and tension on the string.

When you fret a string, you are changing the length of the string. Traditional guitar fretboard design assumes that the mass and tension on the string remain constant (or more accurately, the reduction in mass is proportional to the reduction in length because the string is assumed to have a constant density).

So first of all, as previously mentioned, make sure you have a fresh set of good quality strings. This will ensure that the "constant mass" assumption is valid. If your strings are dirty, or if there is variation in the thickness or material properties along the string, you will get an uneven change in pitch when you fret the string.

If the problem persists, usually what is going on is that in fretting the string in the lower frets you are increasing the tension on the string more than you are when you fret it at the 12th fret (due to the different geometry in each case).

As previously mentioned, a nut that is not cut correctly will exacerbate the effect, so that may be one thing to check. This is best left to a professional with the proper tools, etc.

Another option is to set the intonation so that you are a bit flat at the 12th fret but closer to in tune in the lower frets. You may be able to find a "compromise" position that allows you to be closely enough in tune in both positions that it isn't noticeable. If you have to choose between being sharp and flat in a certain position it's generally better to be flat as you can always raise the pitch by bending the string a bit or increasing the pressure on the fretboard.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:47 pm 

Dmac, we're assuming you have a low action setup on your guitar? Make sure your neck is absolutely straight, nad try a set of .11 gauge strings on it.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:38 pm 

Thanks! Do you have any suggestions on a string manufacturer. I would like to try the 11.

Thanks

Board index » Setup And Technical