Board index » Setup And Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is it safe to use WD-40 when cleaning strings?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:42 am 

I strongly believe we can and should all take Paul's (aka "jingle jangle" 's) above words to the bank on this one!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:51 am 

Quote:
I strongly believe we can and should all take Paul's (aka "jingle jangle" 's) above words to the bank on this one!

Amen!

WD-40 is a wonderful product and every home/garage should have a can. It's great for many purposes, those rusty screws, preventing things from rusting, etc.

But for our guitars, let's be wise and listen to Paul and Dale.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:43 am 

Holy Smokes!! Keep the WD 40 away from the guitar, please!

I finger ease or whatever the product is called, in the white can with the black lid, and orange oil, that's it, along with wiping down the strings with a cloth. there's also a gun cleaning cloth you can buy at at sporing godds stoore, referred to in the Guitar Player Magazine book Guitar Player Repair Guide. I think all of those items work well. My strings last quite awhile, and I gig regularly and sweat profusely all over my guitars, and in my suits (my dry cleaner knows me by name).

That's my two cents worh

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:01 am 

Thanks to jingle_jangle for the ingredients breakdown on WD-40 and hopefully, if anyone was seriously considering the use of it on the guitar strings, you now know what direction to go.

Credit should be given to previous posters mje and flyingeagle who both stated, early on, not to use the product on the strings. There was some confusion as to the presence of acetone or silicone in WD-40, but in the end, their advice not to use it to clean the strings was in agreement with jingle_jangle. I think we have a consensus.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:55 am 

in addition to damaging the finish the wd40 will also probably deaden the strings ... it is a lose lose situation ...

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:32 pm 

Over the years, I've discovered two ways to clean strings. The first is with a paper towel and alcohol (rubbing alcohol, not Maker's Mark). I remove the strings for this, as I feel that the job can be done more thoroughly this way than trying to do it with the strings still on the instrument. Also, I'm kind of leery about the possible effect of alcohol on the finish. The second involves boiling the strings in a pot of water. This method I learned about while reading an interview with Geddy Lee in which he described things he used to do in his cash-strapped pre-Rush days. Naturally, you MUST remove the strings to accomplish this (unless, of course you like your bass well done). As for WD-40, the concept doesn't make any sense to me at all. Why would one use a substance which is basically oil to remove oil? Lastly, there is really NO substitute for new strings, which is what I recommend.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:53 am 

Quote:
Someone had used WD 40 on a Harmony wallhanger I got from a pawnshop, and even 8 years later the strings still smell of it.

Even if it is a wall hanger, I would think you'd want to change the strings SOMETIME. Yes? No?

- Kris

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:50 am 

The smell on that Harmony "wallhanger" is no doubt the WD-40 which the unfinished fretboard soaked up.

Didja ever notice how, when you get a can of WD-40 in your hand, you want to spray everything in sight, just in case it squeaks, rattles, or doesn't look shiny and new enough?

Armor-All, too...which BTW is a silicone-in-water emulsion.

It's the same instinct that we see in monkeys, chimps and go-rillas. Put a handful of stainless steel thingamabobs anywhere within sight, and they'll fight over the shiny stuff. Put a couple of hubcaps nearby and you've just helped to create a new percussionist.

We're just "evolved", that's all.

Just for the record, I'm not a fan of "Finger-Ease". I'm unable to find an MSDS for it, but I have suspicions...

So, it's DR. Stringfellow's Lem-Oil for me, until something better comes along.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:24 pm 

I find that the lemon oil does actually make a significant difference in how long strings keep their brightness. I've been using the oil on them for quite a while (also on the back of the neck to keep it un-sticky), but lately I've left it off to see if it really does make that much difference. It certainly seems to help, & the strings float through the nut & bridge notches more smoothly as well, staying in tune better.
Perhaps it's more noticeable in this humid weather where the oil keeps the moisture out of the string windings.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:58 pm 

Many years ago there was (I thought) a running gag among a number of guitarists I knew, to the effect that boiling your strings would make them sound like new again, for a little while (strings must have been relatively expensive back then). After a while it became clear that some of them believed it - I never found out for sure whether this was from experience.

Then one of them borrowed my bass for a gig, and returned it next day with the strings all corroding due to his acid (etc.) sweat. This was more damage than I had caused in years. I wanted to boil HIM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical