Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:29 am 

Quote:
20 years ago I had my 1976 4001 bass setup and the tech put some kind of wedge under the neck pickup at a 45 degree angle and the tone was absolutely amazing. After loaning out the bass to a destructive S.O.B the wedge was gone and the tone was totally altered. Does anybody have any experience with this tweak of the neck pickup?

Thanks for the input fellow rickenbachians but actually my questions were theoretical. After getting my damaged bass back from the the ricky killer, the bridge pickup no longer functioned. Maybe some kind od weird sex ritual. Tested the aforementioned pickup and it was dead as a 80 years old sex life. Replaced them with, at the urging of a now ex-frind, with bartolini pickups. Bad move?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:34 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
20 years ago I had my 1976 4001 bass setup and the tech put some kind of wedge under the neck pickup at a 45 degree angle and the tone was absolutely amazing. After loaning out the bass to a destructive S.O.B the wedge was gone and the tone was totally altered. Does anybody have any experience with this tweak of the neck pickup?

Thanks for the input fellow rickenbachians but actually my questions were theoretical. After getting my damaged bass back from the the ricky killer, the bridge pickup no longer functioned. Maybe some kind od weird sex ritual. Tested the aforementioned pickup and it was dead as a 80 years old sex life. Replaced them with, at the urging of a now ex-frind, with bartolini pickups. Bad move?

More like boring move. I would look at the damaged bridge pickup and look for a cut or broken wire. Taking a few turns off the coil to get to where the break is would not alter the sound all that much. Unless it is broken in the center (some early high gains had no bobbin and the wires were wound around the string sensing button nails and moving them could break the coil wire) you should be able to fix it without rewinding it.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:17 am 

It might be cheaper to check pickup for broken wire. the repair would most likely be cheaper than a new (set of) pickup. I think Johnallg has the right idea. That way you could retain original parts...blah blah etc. Otherwise, go for it!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:17 am 

When I said ex-friend, he was the one that did the replacement at his shop Moze Guitar. And GULP.....Never returned the old pickups.....OUCH. Crying ever since. Lost track of this "friend" shortly after.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:38 am 

The Boutique link above sells the RIC pups, and they always show up on ebay (though at or above the RIC price). Well eestablished guitar shops in bigger cities might have them lying around also.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:04 am 

Quote:
The Boutique link above sells the RIC pups, and they always show up on ebay (though at or above the RIC price). Well eestablished guitar shops in bigger cities might have them lying around also.

Seriously considering getting the rics on the botique

Board index » Setup And Technical