Board index » Setup And Technical




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:41 am
Posts: 84
Location: San Diego, CA
20 years ago I had my 1976 4001 bass setup and the tech put some kind of wedge under the neck pickup at a 45 degree angle and the tone was absolutely amazing. After loaning out the bass to a destructive S.O.B the wedge was gone and the tone was totally altered. Does anybody have any experience with this tweak of the neck pickup?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:00 pm
Posts: 217
Location: Lisbon, Portugal, EUROPE
Could you be more specific as to this neck pickup mod/tone improvement?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:00 pm
Posts: 1330
Location: Long Beach, California
Is the tech still alive? Ask him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:00 pm
Posts: 302
Location: el cajon,cal
Maybe the wedge thing isn't such a big mystery. You say it was at a 45% angle, perhaps it was used to couple the vibrations of the body with the bottom of the pickup,thus changing the tone. It sounds like something I'd like to try. I'll report my findings. A word of advice, with all due respect,DON'T ever loan out yer bass to a putz like that again!!! I hope we learned something here.....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:41 am
Posts: 84
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Could you be more specific as to this neck pickup mod/tone improvement?


It was a beautiful warm, buttery growl never replicated since.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:41 am
Posts: 84
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Maybe the wedge thing isn't such a big mystery. You say it was at a 45% angle, perhaps it was used to couple the vibrations of the body with the bottom of the pickup,thus changing the tone. It sounds like something I'd like to try. I'll report my findings. A word of advice, with all due respect,DON'T ever loan out yer bass to a putz like that again!!! I hope we learned something here.....


Learned my lesson well. Thanks for the feedback


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:00 pm
Posts: 302
Location: el cajon,cal
Thanks, but... did we learn if what I suggested, not about the putz, but about the wedge under the pickup was doing the trick? You know, like when you touch the headstock of your bass to a hollow door or similar resonating body? Anyway, good luck.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:00 pm
Posts: 631
Location: Chicago
the epi casino neck pickup is also on an angle.
maybe in the future we will see pickups with 4 adjustment screws.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:41 am
Posts: 84
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Thanks, but... did we learn if what I suggested, not about the putz, but about the wedge under the pickup was doing the trick? You know, like when you touch the headstock of your bass to a hollow door or similar resonating body? Anyway, good luck.


I'm not even sure what to use as a wedge. Block of wood?
Decisions, decisions, decisions..............


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ricky pickup setup
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:00 pm
Posts: 302
Location: el cajon,cal
Probably wood, not metal of any kind, at least nothing that would effect the magnet. Aluminum maybe?


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Setup And Technical


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ
X